Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Request for critique

FTDMFR

Hi guys,

I'd like to request some feedback on my latest match. I posted another match recently in the Video Training Tips section, but I figured I might get more feedback in the IDPA section.

Please take a look and let me know if you have any feedback. I'd appreciate any help you guys have.

Thanks!

-if the cover you are in is good enough to shoot from, it's good enough to reload from. no need to duck back in.

-two well aimed shots are better often than 3 or 4 just blasting away.

-look through that type of fencing when approaching barriers. it makes it easier to mount the gun and hit the target sooner into the position.

-personally i like to touch props/ports/barricades as little as possible with my gun or hands. too often in the past when i didn't, doing so resulted in a gun malfunction.

-though we use them less, practicing reloads with retention would of sped up that last stage.

hard to tell not watching you in person, so take it all with a grain of salt from someone else still trying to learn.

-if the cover you are in is good enough to shoot from, it's good enough to reload from. no need to duck back in.

-two well aimed shots are better often than 3 or 4 just blasting away.

-look through that type of fencing when approaching barriers. it makes it easier to mount the gun and hit the target sooner into the position.

-personally i like to touch props/ports/barricades as little as possible with my gun or hands. too often in the past when i didn't, doing so resulted in a gun malfunction.

-though we use them less, practicing reloads with retention would of sped up that last stage.

hard to tell not watching you in person, so take it all with a grain of salt from someone else still trying to learn.

Those RWRs on that last stage were definitely a lesson for me. I almost always wear jeans during matches, and I usually stow the mag in my left pocket. For this match I wore cargo shorts, and the left side pocket was partially blocked by one of my mag pouches. Definitely something I'll consider in the future.

Thanks for the feedback!

• 2 weeks later...

Just one thing I notice, you look like you hesitate from your last shot to your reload. Know when and where that reload is at and you will cut off some time.

That's good advice. I try to count my shots so I don't hesitate, myself. Sometimes there is just too much going on in the cabeza and you blank on the count and a locked slide surprises you. I've seen it while RO'ing. Someone hits slide lock and tries to keep pulling the trigger...

I learned to purposely cant the gun inboard when shooting weak-handed. It feels more natural and seems to help with recoil control and subsequent shots.

I don't remember where I learned this, but I suspect it may have been the Shooter Ready video from Rob Leatham. I spent a couple months' allowance on it when I was a kid and devoured every technique, wondering if I would ever get to get into the sport. I sure wish I'd been able to do it while that young. I might actually be good at it by now. I will go see if I can find another copy and review it for old time's sake.

I noticed when shooting around cover you tend to cant the gun also when shooting weak hand only. I have found that for me its worth the extra effort to try to make sure the gun is straight seems to help me not drop so many points.

Thanks. That's definitely something I'm trying to train out of. I've noticed I'm more accurate if I keep the gun straight. Now I just need to get in the habit of doing it...

When shooting weak hand only, I cant the gun because it helps put the sights in front of my dominant eye.