Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fitting the box in SS

ss+P

I thought I read somewhere that if the sights are adjustable they may be depressed in order to fit the box. Correct?

my SS almost didn't go into the box, I asked the RO to close the lid and when he did the gun slide into the box. He recommended some mods to make sure it just went in and I thought that you could depress sights or "squeeze" your gun into the box if necessary.

is there a rule # that stipulates any of this for the future. I briefly looked but didn't see anything

thanks for the help

He was probably just trying to help so that you don't damage anything in the future. Almost doesn't fit doesn't mean anything, it's when you can't fit the gun in you need to worry. Taking a few mm of base pads won't effect them but will help getting the gun in the box easier.

Edited by terrydoc

The rules don't give a maximum size, they just say it must fit wholly in the box. It can be argued either way easily. There is little or nothing to gain by making it collapsable to fit in the box.

I don't think a gun the collapses to fit in the box should be allowed. The competitors know the dimensions and can insure their guns fit without collapsing a sight or mag base.

Yeah he was being very cool about it. Just didn't know if there were was a rule about it or anything. I measured the gun and knew I was close but I am running the same type of stuff that others are running.

I am going to change stuff but am shooting indania and may not have enough time to do it and didn't want to run into problems there

Are the basepads on your Corey mags ground down a little? Might need to do a little more because it sounds like the TAS sight is a little taller than the Bomar-style adjustable.

With the same mags and a Bomar-style adjustable turned out 12 clicks mine fits the box with no issues and no need to compress the read sight.

This sounds an awful lot like the mags being compressed to fit the gauge. We had to get an interpretation/rule on that and in the new rule book, it says it can't be compressed to fit. Right now, it doesn't say we can push the sights down so I'm in agreement that we can but this will probably fall to the way of the mag rule.