Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IPSC and the Browning High Power (BHP)

Jim Linch

Well in anticipation of my Actionworks BHP coming back, I have started to contemplate what kind of IPSC setup I want to run the BHP (carry gun) with. Holster is my IWB leather for street and mag pouches will be something simple also, no tech-war stuff like most are running.

Since the BHP is either L-10 or Limited, I need to decide on which to play in. I've only shot 1911's in L-10 but want to shoot my 15rnd mags in the BHP for familiarity. Since the 15 is Limited but not really competitive with the 22rnd .40S&W jobbers in Limited Class, I was wondering if anyone had ever modified some of these 20-30 rnd mags to be legal 140mm? or 170mm? OAL to run in IPSC?

Are there any reliable 17-20rnd mags out there? I could probably beat the local guys in my class with the 15rnd mags, but would like to have a couple of "big sticks" when I needed them for stages that would normally make me do an extra reload with the 15rounders that my fellow competitors would not have to.

Also I don't really want to download my 15's to 10 for L-10, but may do that also if that is the larger field of the match. Usually our club has a 20-30 person turnout with 10-15 in L-10 and 10 or so in Limited.

Anyone using the BHP in Limited?

I used to shoot a BHP in IPSC std div (fit the box - not 140mm mags) and was very satisfied with it. The hammer bite got sorted out with time. I switched to a Para to make major, extra capacity, etc. My scores did go up a lot by switching. The BHP however remains my primary carry gun and my wife uses it for IPSC shooting and does well with it.....

I shot a highpower in limited for a short time, but got tired of bleeding on it all the time, in addition to the hammer bite, it was full of sharp edges.

question is yours in 9 or 40?

in the 80's and early 90's my ipsc guns were a sig 226 and a smith 5906, this was before the highcap open guns. and having 15 round mag was not a large advantage over a 10 round super. the biggest problem I had shooting minor, was any hit that wasn't a "A", kills your score. B's & C's hurt, and while D's are better than mikes, it not that much better. if you plan on shooting fast A hits, you'll do ok, if not, trust me, I feel you pain.

Bruce Gray, who began shooting proto-IPSC in 1972, tells me that in the early days this was very much a 1911 vs. Hi-Power sport. The 1911 won because the Hi-Power simply couldn't - and can't - stand up to the number of rounds a serious competitor puts through the gun. It's a fairly fragile piece, actually. More of a "light duty" gun than a serious competition piece. My advice, for anthing but the most casual match usage: get something else.

Well, I have a current-production P-35 that I'll be putting to the test. Once I pry it out of Wayne Novak's hands (hey, real gun writers only shoot super-custom blasters, none of that common stuff ;) ) I'll put through it the tower of 9mm ammo currently holding down the corner of my shop.

I will, of course, have the usual cast of volunteers to help me. (Offer free ammo and you'd be surprised who shows up!)

We'll see how long it lasts.

Jim

Don Williams builds as fine a BHP as can be built. Talk to him about what you are hearing here, see what his thoughts are.

I own several BHPs, all great reliable pieces. Have not put 5k per month, every month, through them (or through any gun I own, for that matter), but they have held up well for me for many years.

Flex,

Thanks for the threads, I'm off to go read them.

Patrick,

Is that a current production model you are going to torture? I'd be real interested in seeing the results. Are you going to change the recoil spring out regularly or run it till it drops?

Duane,

Do you think this was because of the forged frames of the time, or were all the failures slide related? I have heard of cracking at the rear of the slide by the firing pin hole but not anywhere else.

rishii,

It's a 9mm bought about 6 months ago. I plan on shooting fast A's. I'm not shooting IPSC anymore for just speed, but for practice. Which included good hits, not the A/C hits that most IPSC shooters (myself included) go for.

5k a month? You guys make a lot more money than I do to support that habit!! Are you talking professional shooter here, or is that suppose to be the average IPSC shooter? I know there is no one in my club that shoots anywhere near that much. Not even our GM's shot that much to get their status.

I will be shooting more in the range of 1000-2000 rnds a month at most.

Duane,

Do you think this was because of the forged frames of the time, or were all the failures slide related? I have heard of cracking at the rear of the slide by the firing pin hole but not anywhere else.

Everything I've read on the topic, as well as discussing this matter with Bill Laughridge of Cylinder & Slide, and both Wayne Novak and the late Joe Bonar of Novak's .45 Shop, indicates to me that if you shoot a Hi-Power at all extensively the slide will fracture. I've never heard of a frame giving up the ghost, even on guns that are on their third slide.

My 1977 slide cracked:

3x ejection port

2x front of slide where the recoil sprg goes

1x catch where slide stop goes

will check where the other 3 were...

And I've just seen a HP where the frame cracked (2x) where the barrel link bar goes through. The bar was broken as well.

I luv a HP but I don't think its made for lots of shooting.... :ph34r:

My buddy shot a Hi-power for a couple of years, without any problems but I would guess it only had about 5,000 rounds through it before he switched to a 1911 for IPSC. His Hi-power was built by Don at the Action Works and it has been a great little pistol. My buddy loves the HI-power, has 6 of them including one by Novak and a couple others sent to other smiths. I will say the one Don built is every bit as nice as the one by Novak. (I prefer the Action Works pistol he dosent care either way) I dont say this to put down the Novak pistol in any way (Its a fantastic pistol) just to let you know what a great pistol Don makes. I think youll be happy.

Steve

I ran a Browning GP Competition in the mid 80's.

The pf was 170 back then and a Hi Power could survive major, when it was raised to 175 the HP was prone to cracking the frame around the barrel lug.

Mine has a crack in the ejection port, but this is from 100 grainer running 1300 fps. I didn't discover this until after I had it plated.

The photo below shows how to solve the hammer bite problem. :wub:

Browning-GP.jpg

Kenny