Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RF100 Primer Filler Problems

Good morning all. I wanted to post a quick question regarding some of the problems i've been having with my new primer filler. I purchased it around the first of the year and just cant quite seem to get a grasp on adjusting the rig. The main problem i'm having is the primers "bunch up" at the top of the feed adapter or occasionally (5%) flip over as the enter the adapter. I've tried everything I can think of... I've tried running the feed adapter screw and stabilizer plate from locked down tight to so loose it vibrates out ( and every combination of the two), i've tried changing to the spare adapter and ran every possible increment of adjustment on the rheostat and nothing seems to help. Yesterday I finally had enough and broke out the trusty flip tray and tubes. BTW i've tried it with CCI, Tula Rem and Win and the problem persists. Can anyone help me out? Thanks in advance, John

Make small changes to the rheostat and observe the results. What I am reading in your post you have it set too "fast". Turn it down to the point of just bairly moving, then tiny adjustments one at a time (wait at least 10 seconds inbetween adjustments) to where it is slow but dropping into the tube. You can go a bit faster but not much before flips happen. Get it so the entire 100 primers take about 90-110 seconds to all drop. Also you may need to change the clear gate on the top of the to A or B depending on what is happening. And sometimes I need to add a scrap of paper under the gate to just lift it a tiny bit higher. And adjusting the gate is critical, just open enough to allow a primer thru. Also, the spring that is in the base under the tube may be a bit strong, get a spare (just in case you over do it) and try removing it and comprress it a bit so it just holds the tube up. Another thing that may help is change what the RF is sitting on, sometimes putting it on a Sierra Bullets placemat may help.

You should be able to load it with a tray of primers, turn it on, and turn your back on it and go back to loading ammo, knowing that when its time for another tube of primers your RF has done its job.

Keep at it, once you get it going you will wonder how you got along without it... :)

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

Make small changes to the rheostat and observe the results. What I am reading in your post you have it set too "fast". Turn it down to the point of just bairly moving, then tiny adjustments one at a time (wait at least 10 seconds inbetween adjustments)

I've ran the rheostat from all the way down to where the primers are bouncing. What youre saying makes sense but once they bunch up its a done deal, I have to tap shake the entire rig to clear the jam. I will try to compress the spring this evening and then with a mat underneath, hopefully that will help. Thank you!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Also note, that these machines treat different brands of primers differently. I have three machines, and they all are different. One constantly has issues with CCI primers, but loads the Winchesters perfectly. With CCI I tend to get 2 per 100 upside down, no matter what I try. And yes, a piece of paper under the clear plastic gate part is sometimes required.

I had to have Dillon send me a new plate after about a years use. It was odd but it just got to the point the primers weren't moving. I polished the plate and it got worse. I then realized the bead blast on the surface is what gives the primers traction from sliding back as they move up the ramp.

So my new plate came and had a burr on the entry hole right where the plastic bushing goes. With a dremel and polish wheel I chamfered the edge of the hole and it's now perfect.

Edited by brian45acp