Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to 3 Gun - What ammo should I bring?

Almo

I decided to bite the bullet and try 3 Gun. The last time I shot combat shotgun (pre-3 Gun) was 25 years ago. Everyone used #4 buckshot then (I think it was actually required). It sounds like no one uses it now. It sounds like birdshot and slugs are in. I wanted to know what type of birdshot and slugs should I bring to a match. I have a ton of Fiocchi 2-3/4", 1 oz., 7.5 shot, 1200 fps target loads that I use for sporting clays. It doesn't list the drams, but it sounds like 3 dram at that weight and velocity. Will that be suitable for the birdshot? What do you recommend for the slugs? Do I need any other types of shells? By the way, I've read through the forum posts on shotshells, but I'm still a little uncertain.

90% of my 3-gun shotgun shooting is with #7.5 shot 1 1/8 oz 2.75" loads. Usually Estate brand shells. I'd use bulk pack Wally World stuff but my M2 doesn't always like them (lite strikes). I usually also bring a box of hi-brass 1 1/4 oz #6 shot for knock overs that are out there a ways or for MGM spinners. As far as slugs, it depends on your SG and which ones hit POA. 1 oz Fiocchi seems to work pretty good in my gun and have been reasonable cost-wise and don't kick too hard. The Walmart 1,600 fps stuff is cheap but it shoots like I golf (very poorly).

For me, deciding which choke to run was a bigger question with SG shooting. I settled on a lite Modified for majority of the stages, but every now and then will install a Modified. But M-choke and slugs have not been a good mix in my gun -the modified choke really screws with POA/POI.

If you are just starting out, I would recommend some standard-power slugs first. Buy just a few rounds, not a full case. The reason is that when you are at your first 3-gun match, you want to rule out as many frustrating malfunctions as possible, and short-stroking on a shotgun due to underpowered ammo is really, really, really frustrating. I'm hoping you will have a blast at your first match and keep coming back to shoot more; you can always start tuning your gear as you go along.

That said, a good starting round for slugs is Winchester Ranger Low Recoil or Federal Law Enforcement Low Recoil (yes, I just said to use standard-power stuff first--this is for when you start trying low-recoil stuff). Seems to work perfectly in most any shotgun and shoots well enough.

Around here, #7.5 1-1/8oz 2-3/4" target loads will get you through most matches. I use Federal 1250fps stuff because I can but it localy cheap. As for slugs, I use Winchester 1oz 1600fps, again because I can get them cheap localy and there typically are only a few slug targets at the matches I go to so I don't mind shooting full power loads. I usualy bring along a box of heavier stuff (ie. Prairie Storm #6) if there might be spinners and the match will allow it.

Yeah, 2.75" for slugs. The only time I have seen anybody use 3" to good effect is for spinning MGM spinners with one shot of heavy birdshot (usually 3" magnum turkey loads). But this is such a huge time advantage and does such a number on the targets that many matches ban this trick.

Very, very rarely will a match require you to bring buckshot, and it'd be for something like longer range knockdown plates.

For slugs, I suppose it depends on the venue, but most of the slug targets where I shoot will be something like 50-80 yard 18x24" plates. The big deal with slugs is to figure out where they hit with your shotgun (along with whether or not they run). My Supernova, for example, will put slugs directly at the tip of the bead up to about 80y, but my 1100 is about a foot low from the center of the bead at 50y.

On price, I've been extremely happy with the Rio reduced recoil (1-1/8 oz @ 1200 fps) slugs, and for bird, basically any #7.5-ish trap/skeet ammo that will cycle. Be sure of your range's shot limitation, too. Don't want to show up with #4 pheasant destroyer at a place that won't permit anything larger than #7.5.

• 2 weeks later...

An interesting side note on buckshot. Back when everyone used #4 buckshot, the pellets in the factory buckshot used to come packed in a plastic powder, I think to prevent deforming the pellets. That meant, if you shot a gas operated automatic, you had to load your own shells to keep the powder from clogging the gas operating system. Does the buckshot still come that way?

To break it down easy...

Birdshot: 7-8 shot ( I use Rio, estate, or federal because they work well, cycle all the time and pretty inexpensive)

Buckshot: 9 "00" buck reduced recoil (why not as long as it cycles might as well) I have never had a problem with Rio and they are inexpensive

Slug: Had to play around with these, I ordered 10 of each brand I could find and went to the range and noted where each it at 25,50,75 and 100 yards. Its pretty crazy the differences between brands!! For me the remmmingtion managed recoil slugs 1200fps were almost dead nuts and I ahve heard many people say the same so you might want to start there to save you some money

The advice you have received is pretty good, but I'd suggest you contact the MD of the match you want to shoot and see what they say, and then get a few boxes of any specialty locally, try them before you buy a case.

I toss in some buckshot (00 and #4) for most matches, both low recoil and 1325 stuff, maybe Federal Flite-Control too. 1-1/8 ounce 7, 7.5 or 8 is fine for the vast majority of birdshot. Some high brass #6 or Prairie Storm might not be out of the question. I like the Rem reduced recoil Sluggers, Disintegrators (have iron powder so make sure it is allowed, some MDs won't allow it becasue they don't understand it, but it could get you DQ'd) and S&B low recoil slugs. The trick is to get enough to run a few tubes worth through your gun to make sure it runs and hits where you aim.

An interesting side note on buckshot. Back when everyone used #4 buckshot, the pellets in the factory buckshot used to come packed in a plastic powder, I think to prevent deforming the pellets. That meant, if you shot a gas operated automatic, you had to load your own shells to keep the powder from clogging the gas operating system. Does the buckshot still come that way?

The buffering should be entirely contained within the shot cup, shouldn't it? I mean, #9 birdshot is pretty small, and that doesn't booger up my gas system...

Any 2 3/4 7.5 that will work in your gun and lots of it. Most matchs are getting out of the 00 but you shoud toss in a few if you don't have the stages before hand, even then at most matchs people will give you or sell you some. Bring some High brass 6 for spinners, they can be a bitch.

I'm starting to lay my stuff out for FB3G. In the shotgun department, this is what I have:

Win AA Light Target (#7.5, 1 1/8 oz, 1145 FPS) - Primary Load

Win AA Super Sport (#7.5, 1 1/8 oz, 1300 FPS) - For any heavy set targets

Fiocchi Reduced Recoil 7/8 slugs

Odd ball stash:

Fiocchi Spreaders (#8.5, 1 1/8 oz, 1200 FPS)

Remington High Brass (#6, 1 1/4 oz, 1330 FPS)

Prairie Storm (#6, 1 1/4 oz, 1500 FPS).... unless the rules get changed and forbid Prairie Storm

I also have a small assortment of turkey loads in addition to the Prairie Storms that I keep in my bag. But, I have never used any of them other than to see where they patterned in my gun.

I'll be shocked if I need anything more than the Light Target, the slugs and maybe a few of the Super Sport. But, it's always nice to have options.

Have you patterned the spreaders? What do they do? Is the idea to burn 'em on close-in clays?

I haven't done much testing with them. But, I did run a few through to see what they would do. I don't remember the exact numbers...... IIRC, I was getting around double size patterns at 10 yards with an LM. I didn't shoot any further.

I still have not shot any in a match. If there's a stage that's all clays, I stick with a CYL or SK choke. I have these for when a stage comes up that has a mixture of up close clays or steel and some steel at distance. Or if I'm up first and don't have time (or I'm to lazy) to change chokes.

MarkCO posted his results with spreaders a while back. You can probably find them quickly with a search.