Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hirtenberger 9mm +P+ ammo?

Anyone shoot this stuff in pistols? Have heard it is sub-gun ammo, and not recommended for pistola shooting. Just wondering if anyone has played with it, or used it out of a comp'd gun?

Reason I ask is a buddy has a bunch of it, willing to trade it to me for some stuff I no longer need or use...so price would be really great. Thanks

Hey Rhino - does your 9mm have a ramped supported barrel? If not, do not shoot the L7A1 ammo. When reloading manuals warn about unsupported chambers, they are also talking about the traditional 1911 barrel design - which offers very little case support. This is in addition to the Glock .40 warnings.

Frankly, I think it is iresponsible to even make an unramped 1911 barrel in 9mm, .38 super or .40 S&W.

Anyway, I have used this ammo in the KKM barrel Glock 17 Open gun that John Nagel built for me & a friend w/an open STI uses this ammo exclusively. Good stuff. Runs well over 45,000 psi according to the lab tests he got back from the ballistics testing lab a few years back.

Hey Rhino - does your 9mm have a ramped supported barrel? If not, do not shoot the L7A1 ammo.

Why, yes it does! Thanks for the warning, though. It's important enough to repeat for others who may not have ramped/supported chambers.

I remember in the glock armorers class they saidthat some of the european military agencies glock sells to specs that kind of a load for the G17. Idea is they have the same ammo (subgun and handgun) across the board, making supply easier.

The glock handles it well though they do offer an extra power striker spring as some of the submachinegun ammo has tougher primers.

Ted