Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sunset of EZWINSCORE?

Sumtoc

Has anybody heard about plans and dates to retire EZWINSCORE completely? I assume that it is technically feasible to modify PractiScore to be used to submit classifiers and pay the fees, so do we know what's holding that up?

Teaching new folks the current process makes me realize what a mess it really is.....

Thanks

In order to retire EZWS, there has to be something that can be used to replace it 100%. So, you need something that can take input from paper scoring the same way EZWS does. And there really should be a PC version of it since everyone currently using EZWS is using it on a PC.

The alternative is to tell every club that they have to invest in electronic scoring and get at least one iOS device to act as the master and have some kind of wireless network access. That means a significant investment in technology - money and expertise that some clubs may not have.

Edited by Graham Smith

Any handheld can take input from paper scoring, it isn't as if EZWS has a scanner plugin with scribble recognition.

You can run android and iOS software in emulation on your desktop. It isn't the simplest thing but that could be packaged.

Money is a different issue.

The Android version does not yet support USPSA uploads. As a Android shop, I had to use EZWin to upload scores...after talking with Ken Nelson about the iOS version, which interacts with USPSA, I have since purchased an iPad mini for use as a Master. We'll see how it goes.

BTW...Target has/had iPad Mini's on sale for $199.

Has anybody heard about plans and dates to retire EZWINSCORE completely? I assume that it is technically feasible to modify PractiScore to be used to submit classifiers and pay the fees, so do we know what's holding that up?

No. There are no plans at USPSA to scrap ezws. iOS PS can already create the activity credit reporting file, though you have to still find a way to upload it to uspsa.org. Android PS cannot create the activity credit file as of yet. It remains a mystery to me why the two versions (android and iOS) don't offer the exact same features.

The alternative is to tell every club that they have to invest in electronic scoring and get at least one iOS device to act as the master and have some kind of wireless network access. That means a significant investment in technology - money and expertise that some clubs may not have.

And that is the reason ezws isn't going away anytime soon. Damn near everyone has a computer of some type. And damn near everyone has a smart phone of some type. But you can't and don't want to press people's personal phones and tablets into service scoring a match, the main reason being you'd be asking folks to hand out their current working phones for the duration of the match, to be tossed into a range bucket after the last stage along with nails, staples, paint, etc, or maybe even disappear altogether, not to mention all the personal data on one. So to implement properly, the club has to invest in hardware and hope there is enough expertise available to make it work, which when you're just starting out, is far from certain with practiscore.

Any handheld can take input from paper scoring, it isn't as if EZWS has a scanner plugin with scribble recognition.

AFAIK, PS does not have a method of putting in score totals (e.g. 17 A's 3 C's, 4 D's, etc) the way EZWS does.

euxx and I had our first big knock-down drag-out argument on BE last august about that very feature. If that existed, it would go a LONG way to being able to completely replace ezws. You may wonder why? Well I found out 2 years ago in initial testing of the system, and I'm betting Linda Chico found out earlier this year trying to score SC State with regular paper and PS, that having a pile of regular scoresheets in front of you and going through them one by one, painfully tapping in EACH AND EVERY individual hit for a competitor on a stage, is a miserable exercise and you get tired of it REAL quick! It works on the stage because the RO only has to do one score every few minutes, but it damn sure doesn't work in a traditional stats office setting. It simply wasn't intended for volume data entry. Add a method of putting in score totals, and that could change.

euxx and I had our first big knock-down drag-out argument on BE last august about that very feature. If that existed...

Huh? Didn't I tell you back then to replace multiple targets with one target with corresponding number of hits? It is not ideal, but such workaround makes entering total paper hits faster when you're entering them all from paper.

Everyone also forgetting that unlike EzWS, you can put 5..10 or even 50 people and use as many devices as you have to enter paper scoresheets (if you really want to use paper).

Edited by euxx

Really? I don't remember that, um, "solution" (here we go....), but if so I still would have dismissed it, as you still have to painfully tap in the individual hits and have therefore accomplished nothing. I thought we were talking about a feature where you tap on a "A" box and a numeric keypad appears and you tap 'x' number of A's and go on.

AFAIK, PS does not have a method of putting in score totals (e.g. 17 A's 3 C's, 4 D's, etc) the way EZWS does.

Graham, If you were using PS as only a data entry device ala EZWin, you could say a stage with 10 targets, 20 hits, had one target only but required 20 hits, and just tap in the requisite number. Ugly, but workable. You just couldn't mix the two methods.

Well I found out 2 years ago in initial testing of the system, and I'm betting Linda Chico found out earlier this year trying to score SC State with regular paper and PS, that having a pile of regular scoresheets in front of you and going through them one by one, painfully tapping in EACH AND EVERY individual hit for a competitor on a stage, is a miserable exercise and you get tired of it REAL quick!

You can say that again. Donna (Mrs. Jones) and I worked in tandem to enter scores for that match. It was painful. We entered nearly 1300 scores for that match.

post-50397-0-49222500-1409069730_thumb.p

Really? I don't remember that, um, "solution" (here we go....), but if so I still would have dismissed it, as you still have to painfully tap in the individual hits and have therefore accomplished nothing. I thought we were talking about a feature where you tap on a "A" box and a numeric keypad appears and you tap 'x' number of A's and go on.

You know how it works. Submit a request. If Ken likes it and approves, it eventually will be in the app...

Well yeah, but if you recall, this was an idea that Ken had himself.

I don't and Ken probably won't recall it either. He is a busy man. It helps to have issue recorded in the issue tracker and then you can remind Ken about it once in a while...