Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kimber Custom locking up

mont1120

Having a terrible time with my Kimber Gold custom jamming during USPSA matches. I am in Limited 10 and the issue is strange. The gun will usually run fine for about two stages, perhaps 60 rounds, then stop feeding correctly. Usually if I slam the base of the mag, it will go back into battery and fire, only to do the same thing after 3 rounds.

It then fails to let the firing pin far enough forward to hit the primer hard enough to fire the round. This issue is not effected by different loads or bullet type. Presently using Maccormick mags with new springs and they are spotless.The mags are 3-4 years old. Anyone have the same issues?

I should have clarified the steps I have already eliminated that Jack brought up......

1. Lubed the gun in the safe area prior to shooting. Not excessive but plenty.

2. Happened with 4 different mags on one stage.

3. Have not tired factory ammo, but have tried Xtreme HP, Lasercast lead RN, and MG HP's with differing powders including Red Dot, 800X, and Titegroup. I checked each one with a round tester for proper sizing and chamber fit.

4. Re-checked primers just before last match because of misfires, did find two but the problem persists.

5. If I hit the mag in any harder I will bend the mags. I thought that was the issue but I can assure you it is not.

I will go buy some factory ammo and try that, although this load with either the Red Dot or 800X I have used several times.

So many possibilities ....

Not enough lube?

One faulty mag?

Does this happen with factory ammo?

High primers?

Not inserting mag hard enough the first time?

etc. etc. etc.

Have to eliminate them one by one.

Good luck. :cheers:

More times than not it's ammo or an extractor issue. Hand loaded ammo? see if it will easily drop in the chamber with the barrel out of the pistol.

If it won't it's ammo or lead or copper fouling in the chamber. If it does chamber should be a few thousands under the hood the check the extractor.

For tension or trash build up behind the extractor.

Have you pulled the extractor out and the firing pin and really cleaned them with a good brush and cleaner? Also clean out the channel for each? I put almost 500 rounds of .45 through my Supermatch last Saturday and the only issue I had was with one of the Kimber Mags (not very pleased with them at this point in general).

After I was done, I stripped the gun and pulled the pin and extractor and was pretty surprised by how much crud was in there. I would also suggest your minimize the amount of lube you have in that area. I think clean it out very well, then soak it with something like SLP 2000 (basically it is almost a dry lube that will not attract dirt and other crud), let it sit, then wipe it out very well.

It sounds like something is full enough of crud to function for a while with a basic cleaning but after a few more rounds you are getting enough build up to cause problems.

I will certainly give it a try. my extractor was pretty messy. I was beginning to wonder if the hollow points werent somehow hanging up. I double checked each round in the barrel and they are fine. Anyone had trouble using 800X with .45's.

Bought the gun 3 years ago. Have well over 8K rounds through it. Did have to replace a broken ejector this year, had the slide worked over, and replaced a broken safety. Taking it to the range tomorrow. Got the new mags to try, cleaned the gun to the bone and have 7 different loads. We will figure it out. Thanks for the responses and I will let all know how it comes out.