Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IMR 700x for 9mm? (147 gr)

Jayohee

I bought some of this because I've read of people using it for both 9mm and 40 S&W. I'm going to dabble in limited sometime early next year so I figured what the heck. Right now I'm shooting Prod and running 147 gr bullets. Just checking to see if anyone has had any luck making 125 PF in 9mm with this powder as Hodgdon only has 1 sheet on data :(

I'll be loading 700X in both .45 auto, 9mm and .38 special in the near future.

I'm loading my last pound of Titegroup right now.

Awesome, let me know what you find. I'm currently running 147 @ 3.6 of CSB-1 but will try out the IMR in a week or so

You better b careful dropping charges under 4 GN of 700x. Squib. I load it in 357. If you are trying for 38 an 9 ESP b aware that in a lee pro auto disc you gonna get some drops ranging from 1.2-3.5. Just saying because I know. Better be banging on the drop a bunch while loading under 4gn. Real pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great for .45ACP. It's what I use. Problem is a light charge with a large flake powder for the heavier 147gr bullet. 700X does better when dropping heavier charges maybe over 4gr, like in .45, IMO..

Expect a +/- .1 variance with 700X if using a Dillon. I dremel polished inside my Dillon powder measure, used scotchbrite on my powder bars, and wiped down the inside of the powder tube with a dryer sheet to cut down on static, all to help with consistent drops of 700X. It helped.

Oh, and keep the powder tube at least half full.

Edited by JLeeCZ

• 4 weeks later...

Ive loaded about 4500 rounds with 147gn using 3.0gn 700x no squibs or anything crazy and it chronoed almost exactly the same at both majors i went to this year.( i think they were apart by .1 PF average). i load with a dillon square deal and always keep my powder full and it drops pretty consistantly for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Ive loaded about 4500 rounds with 147gn using 3.0gn 700x no squibs or anything crazy and it chronoed almost exactly the same at both majors i went to this year.( i think they were apart by .1 PF average). i load with a dillon square deal and always keep my powder full and it drops pretty consistantly for me.

What bullet and what oal?

Thanks

What bullet and what oal?

Thanks

blue bullet flat point not sure on the oal someone set it up for me when i first started and i havent had to change it yet... he said it was pretty short though like 1.09 or 1.1

I am in fact using a Dillon 550. Thanks for the tips

I usually do 10 drops into the pan of my scale for my reloads. That way I know I'm dropping the correct weight. Like if I need 4.2 grains, I adjust the powder measurer till I can drop 10 drops into the scale pan and get 42 grains. That way if you really feel you need to get another decimal you can go to 42.5 grains, which would be a 4.25 grains in an individual drop.

This is it right here :)

Once I started doing this I couldn't believe I ever measured one drop at a time. Another big time saver was when I realized I could remove the failsafe rod, work the powder drop manually and dump 20-30 charges in a few seconds before weighing my first ten.