Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady HAP for hog hunting?

aahunt03

I shot a 121 gr HAP into a water jug at about 1500 fps, and it expanded and acted like a regular hollow point. It expanded to 0.646", lost it's jacket and lost weight. The recovered weight of the core was 73 gr. It was similar (weight, expansion, penetration) to a 115 gr Gold Dot at 1600 fps.

Also keep in mind that a jug of water won't get you down and try to eat you. I have hunted hogs for a very long time and have always had the best luck with a handgun with a heavy flat nosed bullet with a large metplat. I have seen lightly constructed hollow points really piss them off and this is not a good scene at all. In the area I live in they are known as the poor man's grizzly and for good reason.

As Super Dude related HAP's are made as the old technology hollow points of days gone by. I don't think I would want to trust them on hogs unless you just want something to pop them in the head with at the end of the fight.

Edited by bowenbuilt

most people who go hog hunting for the first time go way over gunned. It is like they think they are rhino hunting or something. I have taken a lot of hogs with an AR15 80% is bullet placement the other 10% is bullet performance. do not shoot hogs behind the shoulder like they are deer. Their vitals are not positioned the same. The best shot is ahead of the shoulder in line with the eye and ear hole. They will be DRT every time with that shot.

I agree with you on the ideal shot placement but when things get up close and personal you don't always have time to place the shot exactly where you want it. It also depends in which part of the country you are hunting, whether you are hunting feral hogs or black Russian Bore. 50% of the time where we hunt you shoot when they pop out of the brush with the intent of having you for their next meal. No one here hunts with an AR or anything smaller than a .45 caliber rifle. Most use 12 ga. rifled slugs.