Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Club at Universal?

SmittyFL

I posted this on our facebook page today, thought I would post it here also. Any and all information or comments welcome and appreciated.

USA is seriously considering starting a new IDPA club the first of next year. I have talked with the FL Section Coordinator to get the ball rolling.

What I need from our followers are suggestions on which days of the month would be best so as not to step on other popular IDPA matches in the vicinity.

I will also need a few (many) certified SO's willing to help get the match going. I believe according to the new rules we will need a certified SO for each squad even on local matches. Learning the new rules however.

And....what do you like in your IDPA match? Types of targets, difficulty level, round counts, positional work, heavy props, light props, etc.?

You are well outside my combat radius, so unless you pick up the Florida State IDPA which I shoot on my annual visit to friends in Tampa, I will not be a contestant or contributor. Just thought you ought to have a reply by now.

As far as match design goes, you have the task of making it challenging to Experts and achievable by Marksmen. The Novices will struggle with anything and the Masters will do anything faster.

As ammo and components get more available, I see round counts creeping back up. So as to not be dismissed as IPSC Lite, the longer stages should be laid out to represent several individual "encounters."

Prop usage need not be heavy but should direct the shooter through the stage with a minimum of instruction. Try to get up enough stuff to avoid the common engagement by fiat.

One of my pet peeves is:

SO: Engage T1 T2 T3 from P1 and T4 T5 T6 from P2.

Me: I can see T4 from right here, may I shoot it?

SO: No, you must go all the way to P2.

So put up something so I can't see T4 from anyplace before P2.

Just a thought Smitty; shooters cuss swingers and drop turners... but they love shooting them! The COFs that shooters go away talking about from Sanctioned Matches are the moving target stages You can really spice up a COF (and create some serious shooter thought) by throwing in a popper-activated swinger/drop turner here and there.... especially if it is down in the target order and shooters have to count their rounds to make sure they have enough to handle the mover. That sometimes makes a TAC reload a good idea, depending upon division.

I also remember your golf cart stage at one FL IDPA State match at WAC. That made people think also - especially if they were shooting a revo, like I was! I'm familiar enough with North & Central FL shooters to know that stages like that will be well received. I also remember the 'Jungle Run' stage from the 2011 Worlds at Universal (I think it was on Bay 3 or 4)... and even though it wasn't quite in compliance with the NRB, people loved it and still talk about it.

Universal has a wide range of bay options. Do you still have the chopper? You can do a lot. Honeybunny showed that at hisTriple Crown matches, as well as what you guys did at the Worlds. You can go beyond what the other area ranges can do. There is a lot of potential there, and a sold core of IDPA shooters within the area.

GOF - Team Pro Arms

Edited by GOF

• 4 weeks later...