Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Advice on Super 1050 Purchase

I have an opportunity to purchase the mother of all Super 1050's at what I think is an amazing price but I'm not sure if my money is better saved. I currently load on a 550 and have all the bells and whistles available except for a case feeder. My primary caliber is 40.

The deal goes like this....

6 month old Super 1050

Ponsness Warren Auto Drive

Mr. Bullet Feeder

Powder Check

Bullet Tray

$2100 for all.

This is way more than I currently need for the volume that I shoot but damn..... a deal is a deal. I can get just the 1050 for $1100 but it'll be set up for 9mm or .223 which sucks because I'll have to buy a conversion kit although I should be able to sell or trade here. What would you do? A lot of guys I know poo poo the 1050 because of the "endless tinkering" and lack of a No BS Warranty. This is a local deal and I've seen the equipment personally and it is immaculate.

I'd say go for it if money isn't an issues, it's surely a great deal.

If you already have .40 dies you can simply purchase a caliber conversion kit, and start loading with a minimal investment. I'd probably start without the bullets feeder/auto drive, and then add them later (personally I can live without the auto drive, but will be adding a bullet feeder to my s1050 shortly).

Went from a 550b, and added an s1050 for 9mm. It has worked out well, I had debated getting the 650xl..... but in the end I spent the extra $$$... it was money well spent, it's been about six months now... not single regret.... wish I had one for each caliber, often get a dirty feeling when using my other presses :devil:

Get it, use it.... you won't regret it!

~g

I've always been a buy once cry once kind of guy and quickly forget about money spent if what it's spent on works well. As far as the auto drive and MBF go it's more of a situation of savings now vs making the decision to buy later and not getting a deal. I'm still thinking and praying about it. The guy has several of these packages for sale so I don't need to rush out tonight and buy it.

Edited by Lifeislarge

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=88898&hl=%2Bautodrive#entry1029346

if you do a search you can find various other posts on the PW autodrive systems. my post above is actually more tactful than i would put it now having spent more time with the autodrive system since i wrote that (and then ultimately soid all of my autodrives).

in my experience the PW autodrive unfortunately doesn't work well at all on the 1050, at least not for performing any resizing operations and particularly for resizing rifle brass. The camming mechanism used by the Posness Warren system puts a great deal of stress on the press frame which (even though it is cast iron) will flex under load. If there is a particularly tough piece of prvi brass in station 2, then the press frame flexes a bit more. if there is a nice soft(er) piece of federal brass in station 2, then the press frame flexes less.
As the frame flexes, you end up with inconsistent travel on the "handle" from one round to the next as it is being pushed forward by the autodrive system. this then results in inconsistent travel of the toolhead (i.e. if you don't pull the handle completely, the toolhead doesn't travel completely).
Even though the variation may only result in a difference of toolhead travel of a few hundredth's of an inch, that's more then enough to give you the occasional high primer (when loading) or improperly resized cartridge shoulder (when processing brass). both of those suck, but only one causes a slamfire...
additionally, running an autodrive requires meticulous cartridge preparation and attention to detail to avoid materials contamination. If you're loading by hand and you've got a single .380 cartridge mixed in with 9mm, no problem - you notice it and pull it off the shellplate. if you have the auto drive, the shellplate will bind and things will typically break before you can shut them down. If you have the drive system adjusted so that the clutch will slip in this scenario, then it will also fail on resizing tough brass and you'll end up with lots of improperly resized cartridges.
$0.02 version - autodrive systems for dillon presses look cool but are expensive as hell and imho yield poor results.

Yeah, what he said. If you don't know your way around the 1050 system, or don't have a buddy that knows it intimately........jumping in with the autodrive in any fashion will be a very frustrating situation. You HAVE to sort the brass first, to make sure you have the right brass you are loading.

Garbage in, garbage out.....

When you have a set procedure to process brass, then load it can work really well, but it takes much more time and work than operating it manually.

DougC

Since I don't have a 1050 (yet) and I really don't see a need in my case for a auto drive. I do have a question, how do you keep the primer tube full when with an auto drive, 100 primers will not last maybe 10 minutes?

I've looked at the 1050 they have set up at Dillon and the tube looks the same as all their other reloaders.

I do have a question, how do you keep the primer tube full when with an auto drive, 100 primers will not last maybe 10 minutes?

ha - I have to refill the primer tube about every 5 minutes (or less) when running the machine by hand.

my opinion (and experience, at least with the Ponsness Warren) - autodrive systems work no faster than running the machine manually. systems that may actually work (such as the forscht) will save you some wear and tear on your rotator cuff but won't increase your loading rate.

on the other hand, if you run any autodrive system you'll need to be incredibly meticulous about case preparation to avoid any materials contamination. That additional time and effort will burn up any actual "savings" in loading time which you may achieve by using an autodrive...