Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help on a 2011 feed issue - what am I missing

BigGabe

Hey guys any thoughts would be appreciated. Here's the deal. New old stock 40 S&W 2011 that's having feed issues. Essentially the slide doesn't want to close the last little bit, happens 4 or 5 times out of 80 to 100 rounds and it's not magazine specific. The round chambers all the way but the slide lacks a 16th or so of closing. I can push it closed, and if I eject the round and load it back it will shoot just fine. Shooting reloads with an OAL of 1.180 and and 1.190 all are checked in a case gauge. When racking the slide with the gun empty it works smooth as silk. Same ammo and mags work fine in my other 2011 with no feeding issues at all. If anybody has had this happen to them I would appreciate what you did to cure it. Thanks

post-26172-0-80023900-1407608767_thumb.jpost-26172-0-31899200-1407608788_thumb.jpost-26172-0-19922500-1407608825_thumb.j

The gun has done it from day one. It has a new 14 lb recoil spring I put in after the first 100 rounds. The rounds drop in and out of the chamber with no problem. Doesn't make any difference. Have run right at 800 rounds through it. As you can see from the middle picture the round is fully chambered. No extraction problems.

Check for a burr on the inside of the slide where the disconnector rides and the disconnector itself? Have you tried loading a little shorter? I've had to go down to 1.135 with 180gr SWC.

Another thought, are you using grease or oil? My guns feel smooth, but the tighter fitting slides can't grease, it slows the slide too much, so I use oil. Worth a try? Lightly grease the full length guide rod?

Use a sharpie to coat the end of the extractor and the right side of the chamber end of the barrel and see if the extractor is making contact with the barrel. If so relieve the extractor/barrel.

I suspect this is a barrel fitment issue. Field strip the gun but leave the barrel in the slide. Move the barrel in and out of battery. Do the locking lugs engage smoothly? Does it take some effort to push the locking lugs int the slide? If so, your barrel hood may be a thousandth or two long. You can use a dry erase marker to coat the slide and barrel locking lugs and then run that test again to see where the lugs are making hard contact.

If everything is smooth and effortless there, mount the barrel in the frame without the slide. Now move the barrel back and forth. Does the barrel lug ride over the slide stop pin easily? Or does it take some effort? If so your lug may be a little oversized.

Edited by Dranoel

Art may be on to something. I have noticed some brass will stick past the top of the hood a thousanth or so. Factory sits dead flush. When the slide won't go into battery I can force it by pushing on the back and it will pop closed using both thumbs. If I try to eject the round with the slide a 16th from closing like in the pictures it's like the brass wasn't resized properly and allot of force has to be applied to get the slide back to get the round out even though the round would fall in and out of the barrel when checked before and after. The back of the hood sits flush against the breechface when in battery. I tried Dranoel's suggestion and the barrel cams into the slide fine with no binding. Frame fit seems to be good. I'm wondering if the chamber might be just a hair short making some of the brass on my reloads stick out past the hood just enough to keep the barrel lugs from engaging the corresponding recesses in the slide once in a while. Has anyone ever heard of the back of the full length guide rod being a little oversized causing the barrel and slide to bind every so often, on the rod I'm talking about the end that fits against the inside of the frame not the rod itself that the spring slides over.

Well first off thanks for all the help. I think the mystery has been solved. I hope. Started resetting up my loading dies, bullet seater and taper crimp mainly. Rounds fell in and out of case gauge and barrel, I'm thinking we're good to go. Take it out and 20 rounds later slide sticks. Well I was pissed. Started checking rounds and found a few more that wouldn't let the slide go forward all the way. Pulled the bullets and just tried the case and the slide would still bind. Got to checking oal and found any case over .846 wouldn't let the locking lugs cam into the slide all the way without a lot of force, the longer the case the more force it took to close it all the way. Cases stuck out past the end of the hood. Took my reamer and lengthened the chamber just a tad to where the longest ones set flush and now the guilty cases chamber and shoot just fine along with the rest of them. So once again thanks for all the help. I think the problem's been solved. Gabe