Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lee Undersized Die on an Automated 1050

Nemesis Lead

I run a Dillion Super 1050 hooked up to a Forcht auto-drive system. I run this exclusively for 9mm.

I run Dillion dies and have been getting 2 rounds per hundred not case gauging. I was thinking of putting a Lee U-Die size-decap die into my machine to see if I could reduce my "reject rate."

Has anyone run the Lee U-die die in an automated 1050? The reason I ask is that I hear the U-Die will chip brass, but I heard that ONCE so it might just be internet noise.

If not Lee, is there a better die that can help here?

Many thanks!

You'll want to look into the EGW lee u-die. This is a version made by lee exclusively for EGW. It's modified so it sizes the case further down, more effectively getting rid of the 'bulge'. I've never had nor heard of 'chipped' brass. Since it sizes the diameter of the case slimmer than standard sizing dies, you'll want to bell your case enough so that it doesn't shave your lead or coated projectiles. I suppose jacketed bullets will 'chip' the case if not belled sufficiently.

Edited by mellow13

You'll want to look into the EGW lee u-die. This is a version made by lee exclusively for EGW. It's modified so it sizes the case further down, more effectively getting rid of the 'bulge'. I've never had nor heard of cracked brass. Since it sizes the diameter of the case slimmer than standard sizing dies, you'll want to bell your case enough so that it doesn't shave your lead or coated projectiles. I suppose jacketed bullets will 'crack' the case if not belled sufficiently.

There really isn't much of a bulge in 9mm brass. That tends to be a .40 thing mostly.

You say you have never heard of cracked brass? Do you mean the chipped brass the OP mentioned? I find cracked brass all the time!

You don't have to get crazy with flaring the cases just because you use a Udie. It only sizes down an extra thousandth. And jacketed bullets don't crack brass that I have ever seen.

To the OP, the biggest problem you will encounter with the Udie is that unless you take the time to get it centered up perfectly it will require the press be operated slower. That might negate all the bells and whistles you are using such as auto drive.

If you are doing it on the toolhead while you are loading bad idea. If you want to put it on the toolhead when resizing and swaging brass only then it would be fine. You don't need it though. Use a redding or Lee sizing die and it will resize the brass properly. I recommend processing the 9mm brass first then loading separately on the Forcht system.

DougC

You'll want to look into the EGW lee u-die. This is a version made by lee exclusively for EGW. It's modified so it sizes the case further down, more effectively getting rid of the 'bulge'. I've never had nor heard of cracked brass. Since it sizes the diameter of the case slimmer than standard sizing dies, you'll want to bell your case enough so that it doesn't shave your lead or coated projectiles. I suppose jacketed bullets will 'crack' the case if not belled sufficiently.

This is the same die.. George worked with Lee to build it, it's not an exclusive EGW product

This is Georges comment on it:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23777&page=2#entry285205

This is the same die.. George worked with Lee to build it, it's not an exclusive EGW productThis is Georges comment on it:http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23777&page=2#entry285205

I stand corrected. Sorry for the misinformation. I was under the impression hey were different based on what I've read here on the forums. You mean the u die I can buy from brownells is the same as the u die on EGW's site?

Sorry sarge, meant to say chipped. Post is corrected. I'm only speaking from my experience of having to increase the bell of my cases to avoid shaving the coating off the precision bullets I was using. I was speculating that, if it were a harder jacket instead of a softer coating, the bullet could damage the brass instead of just the brass damaging the bullet.

This is the same die.. George worked with Lee to build it, it's not an exclusive EGW productThis is Georges comment on it:http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23777&page=2#entry285205

I stand corrected. Sorry for the misinformation. I was under the impression hey were different based on what I've read here on the forums. You mean the u die I can buy from brownells is the same as the u die on EGW's site?

I didn't think Brownells carried the 'U'-undersized dies?.. I just looked at their dies - didn't see them.. but I could've missed it

I know if you call, Lee does sell them directly. I got one of mine from them way back before I Knew about EGW.. I ordered my others from EGW

Ok. Just got off the horn with a nice guy over at EGW. The EGW u die is, as I originally posted, DIFFERENT than the "regular" u dies that can be had at brownells/midwayusa, etc. It is specifically manufactured for EGW by lee. It sizes the case .001 smaller than the standard u dies. It also has been modified to size the case further down.

Can you link to the U die at brownells? I dont see any U dies listed there. Just standard Lee Dies.

Here's the one from Midway which should be same as Brownells.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/386755/lee-u-carbide-small-base-sizing-die-9mm-luger?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Similar in look as the EGW U-Die.

http://www.egwguns.com/tooling/undersize-reloading-die-9mm-luger/

Where are they failing the case gauge? Have a photo?

I found that 99% of all the cases that fail the case gauge for me, failed because of the rim itself. No amount of undersizing the body of the case would help this problem, because the rim is inside the shell plate.

You can test this with your "fail" rounds by knocking burs off the rim, or putting them backwards into the case gauge and giving them a twist or two to iron out the dig that caused it to fail.

In any case (no pun intended) I found the best way to deal with that problem to be an automated roll sizer.

DSC02028-1.jpg

You don't need it though. Use a redding or Lee sizing die and it will resize the brass properly. I recommend processing the 9mm brass first then loading separately on the Forcht system.

This is sound advice.

Edited by jmorris