Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Attachment on Powder Measure?

With the spring sticking out of the bottom of the Powder Measure / Powder Die, and the rod attached to the linkage - no clue on either one. But it did start out life as a Dillon Powder Measure....

Looks to me like some one took an old (pre "failsafe") powder measure and attached a rod to it to manually throw charges.

The fail safe linkage is different but if you get the parts you could swap it out. Might order the plastic bushing that goes inside if it is gone, you should be able to see it after you ditch the spring sticking out the bottom.

You can also loose the two coil springs that return the bar once the new linkage is installed.

Edited by jmorris

Looks to me like some one took an old (pre "failsafe") powder measure and attached a rod to it to manually throw charges.

The fail safe linkage is different but if you get the parts you could swap it out. Might order the plastic bushing that goes inside if it is gone, you should be able to see it after you ditch the spring sticking out the bottom.

You can also loose the two coil springs that return the bar once the new linkage is installed.

Good thinking. I was considering just ordering the linkage. I thought someone here might have seen one with a spring in it or used this on a LNL or something odd like that.

I'm sure the fine folks at Dillon have seen worse. Send it in and a I bet you get a brand new one at no charge. Maybe someone from Dillon will see your post and comment.

The old style make less noise but if the springs don't return the bar, well it doesn't return. Next round is a squib.

The failsafe system is not always needed, or they would not have ever made them without it. However, it's like a life jacket, better to have it and not need it vs. need it and not have it.

The old style make less noise but if the springs don't return the bar, well it doesn't return. Next round is a squib.

The failsafe system is not always needed, or they would not have ever made them without it. However, it's like a life jacket, better to have it and not need it vs. need it and not have it.

I've read that. I just never saw one with a spring or the rod in this photo. Wasn't sure if it was part of another brand's setup or anything like that.

I had an old Hornady press for a while before I went Blue. The rod looks familiar. Mine had a similar rod that was pushed up through the center hole by the shell plate. It would actuate the powder measure. It was spring loaded so lowering the shell plate would close the powder measure. One of several reasons I sold that press was it would dump powder whether the case was there or not.

That's my story and I am sticking to it.

Chancy

I had an old Hornady press for a while before I went Blue. The rod looks familiar. Mine had a similar rod that was pushed up through the center hole by the shell plate. It would actuate the powder measure. It was spring loaded so lowering the shell plate would close the powder measure. One of several reasons I sold that press was it would dump powder whether the case was there or not.

That's my story and I am sticking to it.

Chancy

Thanks. I haven't received it yet so I can't post more photos of how it looks.

Showed up today. It had an additional metal piece attached to it and it was setup for 223 sized bullets. It APPEARS that this was part of a conversion to use a Dillon powder measure on a hornady press. The spring pushed against a hornady powder expander, connected to another spring that sat on top of the hornady case expander for an empty 223 case. Either way I'm happy because the measure, die, 30 call match bullets AND sp type bullets AND 600 large rifle primers were traded for 2000 large pistol primers.