Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gunsmith and Finish Recommendations?

jnh95

Hey everyone,

I have a few questions. I have a new Springfield Armory 1911-Loaded. I need some work done though. I would like to have the front strap checkered to 25 or 30 LPI (have not decided on which yet), the rear of the magazine well beveled more, a "trigger job" with trigger set to between 3 and 3.5 pounds, and a couple new parts fitted (new Ti hammer strut, Ti sear spring, Wilson trigger, mainspring housing and a few more).

Everyone I have talked with is back logged up to 4 months. Any recommendations on a good smith who is available to do the work ASAP?

Also, when this work is done, I am thinking of sending the gun to Rocky Mountain Arms to apply the Bear coat (Flat black slide over Grey receiver). Has anyone used this coating before? I need something that will stand up to daily carry in and around the coast line salt air. This coating has a life time warranty. Has anyone tried to use this warranty? These are the same people who do the Bear coat for Les Baer and a few others.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Stay safe,

James S.

James,

What part of the country do you live in? That info may help someone recommend a gunsmith for you.

As to the BaerCoat finish from RMA, I have it on my daily carry piece. It's held up very well after 2-1/2 years (I use dead animal skins instead of Kydex for social interaction). Last time I checked, they had just raised the price for a warranted refinish (they charge for materials only - labor is free). The price went up to $50 from $35 due to materials cost. And, they'll do it as many times as you want over the life of the gun. Very reasonable, in my opinion.

...Mark

I am in the Austin Texas area, but mailing the gun is not a problem. I would like to have everything completed before April so I can shoot the gun before I head off to training for the next 9 months (not able to bring guns with me).

Thanks for the input. Greatly appreciated.

James S.

First of all, Call Benny Hill at triangle shooting sports. He's usually very fast at turning around small projects, or at least he used to be :D

Second, and more important, I would not want to send a gun to a smith that wasn't backed up by at least a month.

As for finish, most of us either blue it or hard chrome it. Do you like black of silver ?

Hi James,

you have a lot of choices as to which 'smith you want to do a custom job on your springer, you have Benny Hill, Dan Bedell, Ross Carter and more!! and indeed they do a great job and they're good at what they do. it's actually all up to your choice and who has a shorter return time table :D i could also add to the list Mr. Bob Hunter of Hunter customs he's a great guy and very accommodating..i'm not saying that the others in the list i gave you are not great guys and not accommodating...believer me they are nice people!!!! well, nuf said...although i'm not from the US but have spoken with some of them on forums.

www.Huntercustoms.com

this is the ealier version of the Springfield Loaded (the 90's edition) with 20LPI front strap checkering and flat top

77659eb1.jpg

• 3 months later...