Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Diffusion Chokes

OscarMike

I have not tried it for slugs, but my three fastest times on 3GN classifiers were all with the diffusion choke. I give it a significant amount of the credit for my promotion to semi-pro, as I had pretty much hit a limit where going faster meant misses, and the diffusion choke made those misses into hits. For stages under 15 yards I swear by it, at least with #8 shot.

My experience is that they provide better accuracy with slugs than Cylinder or Skeet and a larger pattern with shot than either. So if you have slugs at distance (like over 50 yards) and fast hoser clays on the same stage, a diffusion choke might be okay. As I have never shot a stage that had only those two types of targets, I don't think they provide much benefit. When I tested them, there were a lot of holes in the patterns, especially near the center. When you get out past about 12 yards, kind of like a doughnut pattern. That could be affected some by using better shells.

I get a fuller pattern with about the same diameter with spreaders through a LM or Mod and maintain "standard" loads as well as better slug accuracy.

Not all shotguns pattern the same, even with the same chokes, and loads, so there is some variability. After trying a Diffusion for a year, I sold it and went with what I think are better methods of changing pattern size.

I have used the Briley diffusion choke on my Win. SX3 and it works very well for close shots using 7.5 or 8.

I tried it for slugs and they were all over the place. I was told the "rifling" that spins the shot will fight the slug and wads and caused them to be unpredictable. That is exactly what happened to me when I shot slugs with that choke. Just my experience.

gerritm

RIO slugs shot like shit out of my gun, with the diffusion choke and diffusion choke only they do not.

However, with Fiocchi 7/8ths oz low recoil slugs, it makes them shoot much worse.

It took me a while to trust my diffusion choke for steels. I find that the pattern is pretty consistent, but less dense in the center. Unless there are tight shots, a lot of targets around 15-20, or those little 3" circle 3/4 inch thick bastards I pretty much use it all the time now. Most local matches to me seem to run everything at 10 yards.

Actually, heres a shitty picture I had.

10 yards. Top left is diffusion, top right is lt mod. Bottom left is diffusion with a spreader, bottom right is lt mod with a spreader. I think the patterns were around 15"-9"-18" and 15".

20140530_135654_zps8b357406.jpeg

Edited by Therealkoop