Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 v 45 for limited

copecowboy22

I've done some searching and found a few older topics but I'm wondering how disadvantaged a 45 would be in Limited. I shoot SS now and like the recoil of a 45 over a 40. Is the only difference 2-3 rds in the mag. How many rounds can you get into a tuned 45 mag. In Limited theres only 1 reload per stage (if you don't miss). So I guess my question is the extra few rounds that much of a difference?

People try to squeeze that 21st round out of the 40 to help them on a stage so, yeah, it can be a difference. That being said, are you good enough to win a match or are you just out there to have fun? If fun is where its at a 45 will do just fine. JMHO.

Mostly just for fun. Maybe one day I'll be good enough to be in the running to win (probably not but one can dream). So most stages it's still just one reload. So theoretically it could be competitive if you don't miss?

Mostly just for fun. Maybe one day I'll be good enough to be in the running to win (probably not but one can dream). So most stages it's still just one reload. So theoretically it could be competitive if you don't miss?

Theoretically you can be competitive, however if you have two shooters of equal ability there are absolutely places were the capacity would be an advantage to the 40 shooter. I started SS in 45, jumped over to limited and at first I didn't like the impulse of the 40. After a few months behind the 40 I decided to strip the 45 SS down and rebuild it as a 40. I ruined some 140 tubes just before nationals and used my 18 round IPSC mags at Area 2 and there were a few places I felt it.

You can load a 40 with 200 or 220 gr bullets to get the feel closer to the feel of a 45.

When I first started shooting USPSA I bought a tanfo in 45 because I liked the feel better. Bad decision on my part I now still have that first gun and bought a 40 a few months later to be more competitive. It is a big difference as half of the stages in a uspsa match fall in the single mag area of a 40. Obviously this is not all matches. I have now been shooting 40 for over two years and now prefer the feel of my 40 rounds to my 45. Between recoil springs and bullets my gun is faster and now feels more comfortable then any 45 I've shot. Needless to say I have dumped a lot more money into it. Good luck let me know if you want load data and recoil spring set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk