Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer Feeding Issue

I just purchased a new RL 550b, and the primer feeding system seems to be having a problem.

The primer slide doesn’t go back all the way, unless I give it a little help. When the slide does not go back all the way, a primer will not feed.

Any ideas?

Yeah, changed to the small primers slide and tube. Primers seem to feed fine when the slide goes fully back with a little assistance from me.

I work 8-5 M-F but I will try and call during my lunch hour.

Try loosening the screws just a touch. If they are too tight it can cause binding.

+1. Loosen and run it back and forth by hand to make sure it's smooth. Lightly tighten and make sure it still runs smoothly. You should be good to go.

Priming Seating Punch Assembly is measuring 1.222". Manual says it should be between 1.215 and 1.220. I will try lowering it to see if it makes a difference.

Edited by ES13Raven

Over the years I have found that the knurled cap is best left "just snug". So loose that the low primer alarm keeps it from backing off further.

This way the plastic tip doesn't get distorted in anyway, make sure there is no "flash" left over from the molding too (although I haven't seen any that have needed to be cleaned up in a decade or two.

I think I found the problem:

My Operating Rod Bracket was set high from the factory:

UjviroX.png?1

I did some searching and it is supposed to be very close to the tool-head - only enough room to slide a piece of paper between. As soon as I made that adjustment, the Operating Rod was able to push the Primer Slide all the way to the rear.

I can't get the Priming Seating Punch Assembly to go lower than 1.222" but it seems to be working. :cheers:

There is a similar bracket on the 1050 that is a pivot for the linkage. Once I had it set "just right" I wrapped tape around the steel tube below it and put witness marks on it so it could be quickly located and clocked back into position.

I can't get the Priming Seating Punch Assembly to go lower than 1.222" but it seems to be working. :cheers:

I have had the Primer seating punch break just below the lock screw and could not get the broken peice out. That made be the reason your punch height is so high