Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rem 1100 weird loading problem

Spiff2022

So I was practicing load 2 method, which I'm new at, and this happened.

Had to take apart the mag to get it out, with like 5 shells in it, and even then I had to dig it out by jabbing a screw driver in the plastic.

Wtf did I do? How did I drop the elevator without having the shell far enough forward to latch it? I assume it's me and not the weapon

post-54924-0-85103200-1405645777_thumb.j

Three possibilities -- you didn't get it past the latch, the latch is balky, or you'd put the hammer down -- in which case loading the tube becomes a problem on the 1100.....

The latch looks ok, but this is my first 1100, anything I should look for?

The hammer was back, why would that matter?

You didn't push it past the shell catch. You will probably do it many more times. Don't ask me how I know. You don't have to take it apart, just pull the bolt handle like you mean it. It will open up. 1100s are pretty tough.

You didn't push it past the shell catch. You will probably do it many more times. Don't ask me how I know. You don't have to take it apart, just pull the bolt handle like you mean it. It will open up. 1100s are pretty tough.

Any advice to avoid it? Or just slow down and be careful?

The 1100s are one of the harder, if not the hardest to load fast with the Twins and Quads. Cutting the mag tube spring to the absolute minimum (mine ran with 7") and change it more frequently will help a little. With the other shotguns, during a stage, you can just shoulder and shoot, not so much with the 1100s. Just make sure you get them past the latch by being a little more deliberate.

I have dummies. The 1100 won't spit them out of the magazine onto the elevator for some reason. Tried with empties, but they aren't good practice because the way the front is from the crimp. I'm just extra careful and use an old vest for a safe direction. Good looking out though mulrick

When that happens, rack it with extreme prejudice, it will come out. To avoid it make sure your thumb follows through and pushes the shell beyond the catch.

How worn are your dummy rounds? I find that in my 11-97, the rims take a severe beating just from jumping into the action and hitting the bolt release latch and when that happens they eventually get deformed enough to not get out of the tube. It may be time for new dummy rounds.

I have dummies. The 1100 won't spit them out of the magazine onto the elevator for some reason. Tried with empties, but they aren't good practice because the way the front is from the crimp. I'm just extra careful and use an old vest for a safe direction. Good looking out though mulrick

Ahhhh, I think someone else once said that too. The 1100 is a funky one for sure, but oh so sweet. I have an old late 70's classic trap model that I use for clays every once in a while. Auto's normally don't do it for me, I like O/U's, but that 1100 will be in my family forever, such a sweet gun.