Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's the latest on 38 SC major & Hi Tek coated bullets

jcc7x7

What are people finding using HI Tek (Bayou's, SnS & BB) Coated bullets in their open major guns.

Not looking for a bullet company sales pitch.

Guys at Bayou and SnS say they should work and have been working but both those guys are the real deal and aren't pitching etc.

Want some of y'all who are actually using them to tell me what you're seeing.

They run fine out of my gun and are very accurate but I always shoot some MG loads at the end of the session.

Really want to hear form folks who are shooting them day in and day out

Thanks in advance for real experience

Edited by jcc7x7

I've shot them a little in 38 super major, but guys I shoot with shoot them all day long and have been for years. for a long time here (in australia) they were the only viable choice for a volume shooter. stuff like HAP, or zero's are too $$ here. so many guys have been shooting the hi-tek coated stuff in open guns (with comps and ports) for years. every now and then a guy will get some leading or coating on the comp but in my experience it comes down to 2 things only and number 1 is most common.

1, bullet not correct size (ie tanfogs have a loose 356 bore, shooting 355 pills is not a good idea)

2, coating no applied correctly - every now and then you get a bad batch (very rarely) and the coating is flaky.

we have a number of commercial casters here who've been using the hi-tek supercoat for probably 10 years or so.

as long as the coating is done right, and you're shooting the right size pill they are fine at major PF speeds in guns with ports and comps. :)

Hi tek should work but you would probably be better severed by a powder coated bullet as the coating is thicker and stronger.

I've done both and both work fine but all my hot carbine loads are always powder coated. On the other hand I've never had any problems with hi tek shooting minor.

Shoot some this weekend with auto comp 7.2 grs, 124gr Bayou , loaded to 1.270 which is about as short as I can load those bullets. All ran fine. Made major 167PF.

Going to up it to 7.3grs. At this point I'm not trying to see how flat I can get them to shoot but just how they will go overall. Comp showed no signs of any lead or coating. Load was plenty accurate and SD was 13 so fairly consistent.

Looking forward to Wed. I'm going to run a 100 more though the gun and shoot a 70 + or - practice match. the match is indoors so that ought to let me see how much if any smoke is being generated.

Thanks for the replies keep'm coming

P.S.

Doug

I was one of the guys in the late eighties shooting lead out of a 1911 38 super, 160 gr RN with AA7. back in the old PF days. But it was a single port comp that you could dig the lead out if you had to.

bullets are Bayou's this time. I've shot some SnS 125 grs also and they didn't seem to be a problem but I always shot some MG's at the end of the practice session. I don't know if that helps or not keeping the comp clean. Didn't do it this time.

I use the SNS 95 grain bullets in my .38 super steel gun and do get a little leading, but it 'taint no big deal.

Basically I do what Doug said, except instead of the dillon spray I swab a little Fluid Film brand wire rope grease inside the comp - sometimes I'll mix it with acetone, sometimes just use it straight. Fluid Film is also a lanolin based product like the dillon lube. I think any of the fluid film products or even straight lanolin would work well, I just happen to have the grease. When there is some lead buildup a couple strategic whacks with a brass chisel point and small hammer usually breaks it out of the comp in a few big chunks. It is also a great preservative on gun steel for long term storage.

I have some of the new SNS 125 grain bullets to try at Major in my open gun, but have been playing with the wheel gun lately and haven't had a chance to try them at major.

We just got a bunch of the 100 gr bullets from Two alpha that are coated.....We are gonna work up a steel load with them as well. Thanks for the info on the other lanolin products......It is nice to get more bullets for the money and not have to clean up the gun as much.....

DougC

Shot a 100 more while shooting some MG's at intervals. Looks good overall

Some minor smoke with coated (I,e, more than with mg's)

Practice match went well, and gun feels a little smoother / Flatter with the coated

No visible debris in comp