Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Outdoor Heaters

Tman33_99

Our club is considering what it would take to make our range more match friendly for the winter months. With our range facing south with a 12,000 ft mountain as our backstop, the range is in shadows for most of the winter months. We can spread sand, and lay out carpet to reduce slippage, but it is still dang cold in the shadows @ 8000 feet.

We asked if we could build fires in steel drums for heat, but the Range BOD had visions of news headlines title "Gun Club Responsible for Raging Forest Fire", so that idea has been canned.

What have any other clubs done for their cold weather matches? We are thinking of two or three propane heaters set between the berms for small groups to warm themselves at. Is 80,000 BTU/Hr big enough? We have limited electrical capacity and no outlets right at the berms.

Thanks for input

Travis

To cover the most shooters in an outdoor environment, nothing is going to be as good as a forced air heater like the ones you see used on the sidelines during NFL games. Northern Tool has "Mr. Heaters" on sale right now. You may want to check them out if you can work out an electric power source. Other than that, I'd look at a heavy duty radiant model like this one.

The only thing about propane heaters is that at some temperature which isn't as low as you might think the propane stops vaporizing (it is a liquid under pressure) quickly enough to keep the heater going continuously.

I have a propane version of the old "Herman Nelson" type heater and at around 0 F it will consume the propane faster than it vaporizes from a standard BBQ tank. This leads one to needing to keep the propane tank within the heat envelope which makes people nervous. I have found you don't have to have the tank all that close to the heater...just close enough to raise the ambient temp to reasonable levels.

Another problem with providing a localized heat source at a match is that very quickly the RO and the shooter are the only people not clustered around the heat source. The RO stays warm by screaming at the others to come patch targets and set steel.

Something that spreads the heat out a bit and moved easily might be real helpful.

Some, if not all, of the radiant heaters tend to loose effectiveness as wind speed increases. Not only does the wind cause the chill factor to increase (decrease) but it blows away the heat from the heater. Some sort of shelter from the wind would be needed.

FWIW

dj

We are thinking of two or three propane heaters set between the berms for small groups to warm themselves at. Is 80,000 BTU/Hr big enough? We have limited electrical capacity and no outlets right at the berms.

Thanks for input

Travis

You are thinking a little too small.

http://www.reddyheat.com/products/rh170t.html

Or bigger will do the trick. These are Kero. Work great.

RH125T-170T%20L.jpg

Or Propane

http://www.reddyheat.com/products/blp375at.html

BLP375AT.jpg

Regards,

I like the shelter idea that somebody posted...in addition to the heat.

I agree, a three sided poly shelter off the line with one of the above heaters blowing into it will have a warming effect you would not believe.

The blue poly tarps sold at home centers for cheap money work great as long as the heater isn't too close ;)

Regards,