Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA Revolver weights

Round_Gun_Shooter

I went to a local post office today and on a scale they have in the public area, I weighed 2 revolvers. Nice huh? In MA, in Postoffice, with revolvers. Glad I went early. :ph34r:

The results for my revolvers are as follows:

S&W Model 625-3 Model of 1989 3 7/8" barrel, .400 trigger, Weigand front sight base with Tritium Patridge style insert, rubber Hogue grips, Clean, 40.8oz

IDPA Legal for ESR YAHOO!!!!!!

S&W Model 610 3 7/8" barrel, unfluted cylinder, .400 trigger, PC teardrop style hammer, same sights with stock base, Same grips, 43.5oz Guess this one does not make the current rules.

Guess I am set to go with the 625.

Regards,

:( Weighed both my 4" 625s when I got home tonight, guess what ? both weigh 43 OZ. Both guns were weighed on my Lyman electronic scale. How accurate do you think the postal scales were? Also measured the barel length per IDPA they are 4.125"

:( Weighed both my 4" 625s when I got home tonight, guess what ? both weigh 43 OZ.  Both  guns were weighed on my Lyman electronic scale. How accurate do you think the postal scales were? Also measured the barel length per IDPA they are 4.125"

Considering I did a postal scale and a fish scale that had been certified the day before, I have no problem going to my last IDPA sanctioned match in February and shooting a 625 if I can find a way to carry the moon clips.

[edit]

Edited by Flexmoney

I didn't have the intestinal fortitude to go to the post office :ph34r: But I have a good friend that manages a large meat market. Here is what I got on USDA certified scales.

All guns were stock S&W's, all have Hogue rubber grips as they currently come from the factory.

686 with original hammer: 39.68 oz. (2.48 lbs.)

686 bobbed hammer: 39.04 oz. (2.44 lbs.)

646: 34.72 oz. (2.17 lbs.)

610 bobbed hammer: 42.72 oz. (2.67 lbs.)

57 stock 4" gun: 43.84 oz. (2.74 lbs.)

657 cut to 4" from 6 1/2"" 42.24 oz. (2.64 lbs.)

625 Current production:

bobbed hammer: 40.48 oz. (2.53 lbs.)

629 Classic cut down

from 6 1/2" gun: 42.88 oz. (2.68 lbs.)

Given the weights of the above N Frames. What would you think that a 4" eight shot 627 (the way the industry measures it, not Bill's way) might weigh? With the smaller holes, it might be real close even considering there are two extra holes???

I think your weights are very representative and show that a 625 could play in SSR if necessary and ESR. I weighed my 625 with Miculek grips on my "drug evidence scale" and found it came in at 40.3 oz.

An N frame would probably hold up for about a year or two of practice and matches at 165 pf without needing tightening again. An L frame at 165 pf would be a bit harder on the hands and would have a short life. For ESR, looks like N frame is the only way to go. In SSR, K, L or N frames can play and have very long service at 125 pf.

I am pretty sure that HQ has not considered the wear and tear on a revolver at 165 pf is more severe than a 1911 or similar pistol. We forget how much that main spring helps dampen recoil and save metal. Afterall, a revolver is "direct drive". No springs to smooth things out.

Maybe I'll just put my revolvers away and shoot CDP again. This revolver stuff has gotten way too complicated. Oh I forgot, I don't have any IDPA legal holsters or mag carriers now.

I wonder, did Bill Wison really want to kill revolver in IDPA? I think I don't want to know the answer.

I don't think the 165PF loads will hurt the 625. They have not hurt mine in 3 years of shooting with them. No end shake to speak of either youke or cylinder. No other common problems usually associated with "heavy" loads.

I think the gun was designed for Military ball and is heavy enough to digest a steady diet of ammo with a power factor well above the 165.

The guns I worry about are the Airlite Ti guns like my 325PD. I was assured by a friend in Customer Service at S&W it will take the loads with no ill effects. I will find out I guess because I plan on shooting IDPA club matches with it this year.

I think the weights posted on the S&W web site are actual shipping weights. That is the only explaination I can give for the variations in what they have listed and what we are finding.

Regards,

What would you think that a 4" eight shot 627 (the way the industry measures it, not Bill's way) might weigh? With the smaller holes, it might be real close even considering there are two extra holes???

S&W wouldn't have any problems keeping a purpose-built 627 under the weight limit, wherever it ends up. Using a titanium cylinder would take care of most of the difference, and now that S&W is moving toward shrouded barrels on all production revolvers, playing with materials there could cut weight further. Shoot, keeping the original M27 barrel coutour by itself would be worth a few ounces, and look better. :)

• 2 weeks later...

B) RE-wighed my 625s today, it seems that when I zero out my Lyman digital scale it makes a difference whether it is vetical (down) or horizontal. Now both of my guns come in under 42 OZ.

I now have the option of shooting with 45 auto rim brass in SSR, or moonclips in ESR.

I weighed my 4" M29 with Miculek grips at the P.O. this AM - 42.6 oz.

Now I see on another thread that the weight limit has been raised to 50 oz. If I'm reading that right, I'll be O.K.

I had S&W remove the 6 1/2" bbl from that M29 and install a 4", install a pinned front sight, a smooth trigger and had it hard-chromed for carry and so I could start IDPA. I carry this gun often in a Blade-Tec belt holster.

I was a State Director for IHMSA for 7 years. What started out as a simple, fun, family sport turned into a hopelessly complex mess due to compicated rule changes and the addition of a zillion different classes. I hope IDPA doesn't go the same way.

John

Cape Canaveral