Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack weapon

blaster1977

So, I'm a glock 34 production guy. Within the next few months, I want to buy a 1911 and start shooting SS as well... It looks as fun as production and the limited round count in mags will keep me pushing to become a make-every- shot- count- type shooter that I've always striven to be. I don't want to get lazy. So, any help on selection would be nice. I really the looks, feel of the Springfield TRP 45.... But I see that some guys shoot 40 and even 9mm?

What calibers do you guys choose to shoot? What weapons? As for Price, for my first one I want to keep it under 1500, but that's not the limiting factor. Quality is. I won't be jumping in for a few months when I buy it, I'm gonna run it in training until I know I can be competitive, just like I did with the G34. So, any help, ideas, what guns and calipers, would be appreciated. Thanks

I also shoot a 34 in Production and I'm going to Single Stack next for pretty much the same reasons you are. I am coming to the tail end of my wait for a .40 cal SVI 1911.

I went .40 for cost containment reasons since it's less expensive than .45 to shoot. It's also nice since I can do 9 round Wilson Combat mags and I don't have to Barney. I wanted major power factor after shooting minor in Production.

I'll go with a CR speed belt (it's what I use now for Production), 6 Double Alpha Single Stack Racer Pouches, and Blade-Tech for the holster (apparently they make a model for my specific SVI 1911.)

I'd encourage you to check out the STI Trojan 1911 since it's in your price range and I find a lot of love for that pistol at my local club. The 9mm Trojan was the first 1911 I ever shot so I have a soft spot for it. I'd be very happy to nab one of a prize or raffle table someday if I was lucky enough to pull that off.

Thanks for the great advice!

I also shoot Production now and then with a G34, and have a dedicated belt set up for that gun. I also have a dedicated belt set up for SS and another one for Limited because its a PITA to move all the mag pouches and holsters around each time I wanted to shoot another division.

Honestly, if you don't reload right now I would suggest getting a Dillon before buying another gun. Its not hard to learn, and god knows there are plenty of videos on Youtube showcasing how the SDB, 550 or 650 work and how to get the most out of your press. I loaded on a single stage my first year of USPSA shooting and made getting a progressive a high priority over buying more guns. It made a huge difference. Reloading and buying components in bulk is the only way I can afford to shoot 12-15K rnds a year. If you think about it, buying the pistol is the cheap part...keeping it fed with ammo is the more expensive part!

Hopefully there are enough SS shooters at your club that you can test-drive some different 1911's and see for yourself which ones have the features you like and maybe even give .40SW a try in addition to .45acp.

The press is definitely a priority. I'm supposed to get one at Christmas but maybe I need to buy it myself early tally and let the wife buy me my 1911... The more I think about it the better the idea is. Also, I'm definitely going to start asking guys what they shoot at the club and see if any of them will let me try out their weapons.... Thank you

I also shoot Production now and then with a G34, and have a dedicated belt set up for that gun. I also have a dedicated belt set up for SS and another one for Limited because its a PITA to move all the mag pouches and holsters around each time I wanted to shoot another division.

Honestly, if you don't reload right now I would suggest getting a Dillon before buying another gun. Its not hard to learn, and god knows there are plenty of videos on Youtube showcasing how the SDB, 550 or 650 work and how to get the most out of your press. I loaded on a single stage my first year of USPSA shooting and made getting a progressive a high priority over buying more guns. It made a huge difference. Reloading and buying components in bulk is the only way I can afford to shoot 12-15K rnds a year. If you think about it, buying the pistol is the cheap part...keeping it fed with ammo is the more expensive part!

Hopefully there are enough SS shooters at your club that you can test-drive some different 1911's and see for yourself which ones have the features you like and maybe even give .40SW a try in addition to .45acp.

The press is definitely a priority. I'm supposed to get one at Christmas but maybe I need to buy it myself early tally and let the wife buy me my 1911... The more I think about it the better the idea is. Also, I'm definitely going to start asking guys what they shoot at the club and see if any of them will let me try out their weapons.... Thank you

If your around central west texas your welcome to shoot mine anytime.

I have 2 1911's… one in 9mm for steel matches and one in 40 for USPSA SS major. Both are super fun to shoot, and coming from production, you'll be well-practiced in reloads. The SS mag well takes a little more practice.

In response to the comment made yesterday about a SS 40 needing special mags, That is just not a true statement. I have several 40's and run Wilson 47D, ETM, Tripp Cobra and CMC 45 ACP mags. All my pistols run great. So as far as getting a pistol in 40 rest assured all the hype about 40s not running in SS is BS. If you can get a 2011 style to run you can get a SS to run.

Oh yeah!!! BTW I also have several 47 NX and Tripp 10mm mags. ALso work great.

JMHO

Oh one more thing, As far as the cost of reloading, the difference is negligble. Most of this is a preference thing. The 45 ACP seems to lope along as compared to the snap of the 40 and the 9mm is like cheating. Recoil is like a 22LR. I have all three and shoot them all. The 45 I use 200 gr w/ Clays (172 PF), the 40 I use 180 gr w/ 231 (170 PF) and 9mm w/ 125 gr and w/231 (130 PF).

I kind of agree on the negligible price difference, but only to a certain extent. Difference in bullet prices is maybe $10-15 per K difference between 200 gr .45 and 180 gr .40. But if you are shooting 230 gr bullets the price difference to .40 is more pronounced. Where I am .40 brass is much more prevalent, and when I work a major match I come home with a couple gallons of .40 brass but maybe only a quart or two of .45 at the most. I typically work a couple majors a year so haven't had to purchase brass in quite a while, but IIRC .45acp brass is going to cost you more than .40SW.

I shoot a fair amount of 9mm in 3-gun and Steel Challenge, and only needing to stock up on small pistol primers and not having to change the primer feed over to LPP is a convenience. But the main reason I switched to .40 from .45 in SS is because I like the recoil impulse. The rest is "logistical" convenience.

Just got me a single stack .40 Trojan a couple months ago to shoot USPSA. I did initially have some problems with it nose diving but I sent it to Tripp and it runs flawlessly now. I really like the .40 as it allows me to stay with a cartridge I already load for for my Glock 35 and STI Eagle and only one size primers for it and my 9mm. I have downloaded my 180 and 200grn loads in the .40 to 130 PF and they are super light recoiling. The more I shoot .40 the more I like it. Very versatile.

As I stated, it is a personal preference. I love my 40 (the recoil impulse is prefered). I shoot my 45 also but as I stated the 45 seems to lope with the slide function as compared to the 40. As I also stated the 9 mm is much akin to cheating as the recoil is like shooting a 22LR. If your already shooting a 40 I say stick with it. You are correct the 40 brass is much easier to come by than 45 ACP. If you have any one at your club that will allow you to try each out I recommend to do so. Then you can make an informed choice. +1 on any choice you make.

I love my SS guns in .40. Started with a Trojan just before SS nationals. I know it's totally a personal preference thing, but I much prefer the recoil of the .40 over a .45.

Me too. Much prefer the quick "pop" of the 40 to the long slow push of a .45. Always felt like I was waiting on the .45.

BLUF, I'm going to try my best over the next several months and shoot a few different 1911s at matches or at practice. None of my friends own a 40 cal 1911, so I'll try a few out (or try to) as the opportunity presents itself. Thanks guys

Not much to do with 1911's but....

A shovel is just a shovel until you try to hit someone in the head with it. Then it becomes a weapon. Pistols, rifles, and other guns, are the same way, it's not a weapon until you use it that way. The gun banners like to use the term weapon because it sounds scary. To me it's just a tool like a shovel until it's not.

Look for good used 1911's there are some screaming deals on this forum from time to time.

Not sure where you live but if you are in NC, SC, GA, area you are welcome to shoot my .40, .45, and 9mm 1911's. They all have their place.