Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Build or Buy Bench

EA308

$40 and about two or three hours... thing is rock solid, plus I normally use the bottom shelf to hold all my lead, ain't goin nowhere.

bench_zps2c925bd1.jpg

Literally just built one almost exactly like this. About $70 it cost me. I doubled the top and used a bunch of lag bolts in the bench and bolted it to the wall. More than rock solid.

This is how I made my bench..... then used 1.5" butcher block for the top.

Stole the idea from here.... http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/319362_.html

Just adjust the measurements to the size you want...

BENCH4.jpg

I added a couple support beams to the middle same as B & C in pics...

Super happy with the results and that thing aint moving....

Cost was pretty reasonable......

Height was 36"

I used some Butcher Block Tops lag bolted from the bottom.... 36" x 72" sealed up with Teak Oil

http://www.menards.com/main/home-decor/countertops-laminate/butcher-block-top-36-wide-x-72-long/p-1797515-c-3629.htm

I could have pinched penny's but money was no object and it was still very reasonable.

IMG_20140422_122526.jpg

Edited by Warpdrv

After seeing what has been posted here and the reloading bench gallery, I have decided to build my own. Will post pictures once I get it built. Thanks for the help guys.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I made one using 2 x 4, and 5/8" MDF for the top. I also used an entire tube of polyurethane construction adhesive at all contact points (that's the goop you see smeared along the front 2 x 4). Makes it CRAZY rigid, way more than many 3" screws could ever. It's secured to the joists along both walls into the corner. Basically this table isn't moving.

I also ran 2, 2 x 4, laminated together by the construction adhesive on top of each other, then to the underside of the MDF, running from the framing 2 x 4 at the front to back, so that the bolts to secure the press would have plenty of rigid material to bolt to.

Cost less than $40, and the construction adhesive was a big part of that cost (around a third), and the screws were "free" (leftover from when I built a deck not long ago). So it basically I believe a 16' 2 x 4, a tube of construction adhesive, a sheet of 5/8" MDF, and some screws. Took me maybe 2 hours to build, and a few minutes to install the next day after allowing the adhesive to cure entirely (makes drilling through it easier for mounting the press when the adhesive has cured). Took those pics right after building it and throwing my shooting shit onto it to clear space elsewhere in the basement I needed for other projects.

I left a bit of an overhang on one side so I could mount clamps to it if needed. I've found that very useful on previous work tables. Right now I have a multi-power outlet clamped to the back far corner for example for running things like rotary tools, soldering irons, etc. There's tonnes of light in the small space, the overhead light (which has since been changed to a "safety" light that's "unbreakable". With the fluorescent light as well, it's plenty for reloading. I find I don't even need an additional light to look into the case when verifying powder charge levels. Although that might change when I get older and the eyes start going.

uUhwnGH.jpg

d80B3Pc.jpglZH8O8c.jpg

Edited by DuplexAlpha