Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What would cause something like this?

glenr

It looks like it was fired out of battery to me, or fired before the slide was fully closed so there was no support for the web/head of the case. Ugly ain't it? I bet whoever it happened to had to change shorts that day.

More likely an overcharge of a fast powder under a heavy bullet, like Clays under a 147. When you use a large flake powder in a powder measure, due to the way it meters, some charges are going to be too light and some too heavy. Most are going to be just right.

That's why it is better to meter by weight rather than volume whenever you are playing with a sensitive combination of components.

If the bulge is around the entire circumference of the brass, it suggests an out of battery firing = the entire base of the case was unsupported.

If the bulge is limited to 1/2 to 1/3 of the case, it suggests a rupture in the unsupported region of the chamber's feed ramp. This can be caused by excess pressure and/or weak/damaged/defective brass at that position.

If the bulge is limited to 1/2 to 1/3 of the case, it suggests a rupture in the unsupported region of the chamber's feed ramp. This can be caused by excess pressure and/or weak/damaged/defective brass at that position.

I have seen a few of these happen to a shooter. One was an open shooter who had a 9MAJOR blow out. He had loaded and fired countless rounds with great success so we all figured it was just a worn out case. It was kind of uneventful in this particular instance just a little different sound lots of smoke around the gun and the gun and mag were really filthy. Made sure the gun was clear, did a quick inspection, put it back together, test fired and finished the match. Had it been a double charge it would have been a different story probably.

This happened to me twice in 9 major and once in 38 super. It's just a weak case that burst especially on super because we pickup and reuse the brass.