Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gen 3 or gen 4 17

bodene 5

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Quote from Bill Springfield concerning his Accuracy Upgrade to Glocks.

Gen 4 versions don't usually need this modification. Glock has really improved the barrel lock up over previous generations.

In my Gen 3, I have had months of headaches with ejection/extraction woes. I haven't seen a Gen 4 with as bad ejection problems as the Gen 3's that rolled off the factory within the last year, so I'd go with a Gen 4 if given the chance.

I guess irrelevant is too strong a word? Maybe "almost irrelevant" is better?

I understand what the differences are and they are all personal preference

They don't actually make the gun any more accurate / reliable / shootable so what's it matter?

The magazine release is absolutly more usable on a gen 4. This is pretty hard to ignore unless you have little stubby hobbit hands.

It's not my personal preference, it's from talking to and read a lot of people's impressions.

MY hands have little problem with most pistols. I can still reach and use the slide release on a M&P 45 over the thumb safety,so the 2mm difference in the gen3 .vs gen 4 frame isn't a huge thing for me.

Also, for those who get slide bite, the GFA isn't production legal. Gen 4 is. Also never been a problem for me, but I can still see it as a +2 for those with that problem.

Edited by theblacknight

The magazine release has more area, and that area is closer to the back strap. This is measurable. These facts combined with the 2mm difference between the gen 3 and 4 grips is going and does mean that for more shooters, the Gen 4 magazine release will be quantifiably easier to reach and use. Those with stubby little Larry Vickers hands will still find all mag buttons hard to use and champions their savior, the HK paddle release for use with hobbits everywhere.

Are you talking about gen 4 mag release being better than the original gen 3 mag release found on 19's & 17's? Because I'm talking about it compared to the extended gen 3 mag release found on 34's and 35's. Given the current options, I think longer and thinner is better than short flat and wide, but like I said thats my personal preference - and my personal preference on something is irrelevant when comparing the shootability of a gun for someone else. Unlike mechanical accuracy, recoil absorption, reliability, etc. For people with different hand sizes, I can see how they'd have different preferences too...

Pick what you like & roll with it.

Gen 2 had the benefit of no finger grooves. I still don't know which one i prefer, 2, 3, or 4.

I dont notice the finger grooves cause my hands are that size it seems, but I really don't know why they kept them for the Gen 4 guns. Enough people end up wacking them off doing Limited and carry guns. While they are at it, they should bring back the Gen 2 mag scoop at the bottom of the front strap.

Hands down the gen4 .......for me at least, smaller grip, better texture, and larger mag release.... thirteen of my current Glocks are gen4's..... only have two Glocks that aren't, one of which will be sold shortly as it has already been replaced by a gen4.

~g

Hands down the gen4 .......for me at least, smaller grip, better texture, and larger mag release.... thirteen of my current Glocks are gen4's..... only have two Glocks that aren't, one of which will be sold shortly as it has already been replaced by a gen4.

~g

Man dude 13 wow

I've got some Glock related issues, my first Glock was a G30gen2.5, I've got a G29sf for sale...... Everything else is a gen4. I'm a fairly small guy, so reduced grip size was the big driver. I replaced all my .40's with gen4's in 9mm, then added the rest. Previously I could stand the large frame Glock grip size.

~g

Sent from my iPhone

Edited by safeactionjackson

Gen 3 simply because I've shot 20k+ rounds through my gen3 23 (including 9mm w/ conv barrel.) I've just gotten use to that compact gen 3 grip. I just sold my G35 gen4. After 2 months of heavy shooting with it I just couldn't shoot it as well as my 23. So now I've ordered a lone wolf LC1 adapter, bare 22 slide, and LW barrel so I can have that longer sight radius and not have to give up my compact grip. I've only found one guy that's had that G23L setup and he loves it. Runs great he says. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

^had a G19gen3 with almost 30K through it in about 8 years, my G17gen4 saw 40K+ in three years, G34gen4 will have a similar round count by the end of this year (almost exclusively shooting the G34gen4 now). Interestingly the G34gen4 took me a bit to get the hang of, also had a similar experience with a G35gen3... didn't shoot it much, an sold it pretty quick.

~g

• 3 months later...

"Backstraps - different sizes for comfort (more personal preference to be answered by each individual end user)" from a previous post.

I just bought my first Glock a G-17 gen 4. In all honesty, I probably wouldn't have bought a Glock at all if not for the beaver-tail backstraps. I shot a Glock a couple times in the past and, luckily, I didn't get Glock bitten but, I did have grease marks in the web of my hand from the slide. Too close for comfort for my taste.

So, I went in to buy the above pistol and then I was quickly presented with three options. Gen 4 17, 34, or a Gen 3 G17L. I had originally wanted to buy a 35 and get the conversion barrel down to 9mm. I was buying on the blue label program, so I would have had to wait for the 35 to come in, which I didn't want to do. Also, I was interested in trying a GSSF match or two and you can shoot more divisions with the 17. So, you add all that up (17 was a little cheaper also) and that is why I went with the one I did.