Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Building a new (backup?) shotgun to my current M1S90...

Fast351

So, I have been running my M1S90 24" for 10+ years shooting 3 gun. It has been perfect. But I am shooting more major matches now, and I really would feel more comfortable if I had a spare ready to go in case for whatever reason the M1 quits running. So...

Option 1) My brother has a NIB M1. I could get it CHEAP. Only problem is it's a 28". A 24" barrel seems like an impossible thing to find and when they do come up for sale, the cost of the 24" barrel brings the total purchase price of the M1 closer to the price of a new M2. Of course I wouldn't need a second set of chokes then. What about cutting the barrel down? What does that cost and is it a reliable solution?

Option 2) Buy a 24" M2. Add the various Nordic pieces to get it ready for 3 gun, open up the loading port, and spend the $100 or so for the chokes I'd need to have.

Option 3) Benelli Vinci or other shotgun. From what people tell me the Vinci shoots quite a bit softer. Not sure it matters much to me. The recoil on my M1 doesn't really bother me at all. But if I'm building new, why not take advantage of that? Or do I buy a different brand? You'd really have to convince me to switch from Benelli considering the stellar track record I've had with my M1, but is there a new holy grail of 3 gun shotguns out there?

This shotgun would only be for 3 gun, so it doesn't need to be useful for hunting or home defense or anything like that. It might even become my primary if I like the way it shoots better though.

Your thoughts?

Option #4: Purchase the new M1, if you need to use the backup, just switch the barrel from your normal M1. I don't think you will need to worry that your barrel was the cause of your normal #1 M1 to go down at a match. Of course you would need to make sure the barrel was compatible first, but I don't see that as a problem.

Started with it in 94 so ammo was cheaper for some of those years, and Federal....the best ammo maker in the world!!! has helped out with some of it so I would drop the cost of that a bit, but in the long run the guns do end up the cheap part of 3-gunning. BTW I just used my good old M1 again for the Nordic Shotgun match so up that round count another by another 300 rounds.

Started with it in 94 so ammo was cheaper for some of those years, and Federal....the best ammo maker in the world!!! has helped out with some of it so I would drop the cost of that a bit, but in the long run the guns do end up the cheap part of 3-gunning. BTW I just used my good old M1 again for the Nordic Shotgun match so up that round count another by another 300 rounds.

I'm not saying my M1 is about to crap the bed anytime soon (as a matter of fact it runs as good as ever) but if it were to happen, I know it'd be at the most inopportune moment. I consider a spare like a fire extinguisher. I'm not planning for a fire, but you never know :)

If it does die at a match you can always borrow a gun to finish with, and then find one to get before the next match, or do mean that you carry 6 guns to a 3-gun match? You carry your primary guns and your backup guns? Seems to me 1000 dollars worth of ammo for practice would help win a match more than a backup in the safe......I like fire extinguishers, but I down own 15 of them. :).......but I do own a few spare parts for my Benelli.... :)

Not sure on the Stoeger route???? even Team Stoeger shooters seem to be running Benelli's instead!!! This is what I was told by someone keeping an eye on a team stoeger shooter

Trapr

Edited by bigbrowndog