Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Drilling out striker to reduce weight? Light strikes

IrishPsych

I have installed the PRP Extreme kit. Havent had any issues but only maybe 200rds so far. I was going to stock up on some Tula/wolf primers BUT dont want to get light strikes.

Read that a titanium striker indicator will help that BUT what about drilling some dimples or holes in the striker itself to reduce weight?

Dont see a reason to buy a polished striker as I can polish my own.

I know a few folks with the PRP kit using Wolf primers and the factory striker. I don't have the PRP kit in my XD but it also works fine with Tula and Wolf primers. Lots of folks experimenting though over on XDTalk so if you don't get any hits here try over there.

I have installed the PRP Extreme kit. Havent had any issues but only maybe 200rds so far. I was going to stock up on some Tula/wolf primers BUT dont want to get light strikes.

Read that a titanium striker indicator will help that BUT what about drilling some dimples or holes in the striker itself to reduce weight?

Dont see a reason to buy a polished striker as I can polish my own.

Have seen some Glock strikers that were aggressively "lightened" to increase strike energy. It works, only concern is compromising strength of the piece.

I would never modify my pistol for the sake of forcing it to be more reliable with substandard primers. If your mind is made up to use Tula/wolf primers that have the reputation of an ocasional misfire (not truly a light strike) than use them for practice until you are confident they work 100% or not. If not use them for practice only, not matches. Lightening the striker may or may not affect reliable ignition, and it certainly has the potential for an early part failure.

If I were going to go that route on primers I would take the PRP striker spring out and put the factory striker spring back in.

With the PRP spring in my gun would not reliable fire Winchester primers 100% of the time. I did not have any issues with CCI or Federal primers but I elected to remove the competition striker spring and put the heavier spring in that came with the kit. For me the peace of mind was worth more than the slight improvement in trigger pull from the lighter striker spring. YMMV.

I have not tried this on an XD striker yet and have not had the need to. But if you look at what the revolver guys do to their hammers, there is not much left of them. The lighter hammer allows for less spring pressure to still have reliable ignition. My revolvers are like most other gamer revolvers that have chopped hammers and minimum spring pressure to the point that Federal is the only usable primer. These are strictly game guns, I would never try going near that light on a carry gun. My opinion would be to get the primers first and try them. If they are 95%, I would keep them for practice and use something softer for matches and not worry about the striker yet. Or has been mentioned, stick with the factory striker spring.