Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Limited 9mm 2011

Endurokids

First question is why 9mm?

Why not 40 and shoot major?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1

A used custom gun from a good builder. I see them fairly often in the classifieds. I own an Akai I bought that way and it is a wonderful gun I got at a very good price.

As previously stated, 9mm puts you shooting minor, and very seldom do the 1-2 extra rounds make up for the lost points. If you want it to double as a 3gun pistol, it makes perfect sense. Good deal on a used gun is tough to beat, but you can also get a new EDGE or Eagle in your price range. They are a solid place to start, but will likely require some upgrades and such to get them to where you will end up wanting them.

I agree go for the 40 S&W if you really wanna go limited you can load down to PF and it will feel like a regular 9mm but give ya more points. Unless you going to use it for 3 gun and IDPA then the 2011 9mm may be better and shoot production with a S&W M&P in 9mm in USPSA. :P

As stated, when shooting USPSA Limited, most are at a disadvantage shooting minor. Unless you shoot all "A"s you are giving away points to the guys shooting 40 S&W. I know 9 mm is easier to shoot, it holds more rounds, it is a low pressure round and ,40 is a high pressure round etc., but look at the results of any major match or the Nationals, nobody shooting minor wins.

Good mags are critical, some run without tuning others do not. STI Magazines for 9 mm are harder to tune, SV mags, IMHO, are better for 9 MM and 38S/SC, but harder to find and usually more expensive.

As someone else stated, any gun by a good builder should do the trick, this is even more important for 9 mm than .40 S&W, I have seen 40s run fine out of the box with good mags.

Good luck.

I reload 9mm and .45, and don't want to purchase components to load another caliber.

Besides, I'm doing this for fun and don't have visions of becoming a pro at this anytime soon.

More shooting = more fun. :)