Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

180g .40 load

joelaw99

before you get pummled, there are about amillion threads on this. you will likely be directed to search, but that function never works well for me.

So the basics before the others pummle us both....

180 jhp (lead would be a trifle softer, but not worth the smoke)

fast powder, VV N320 & Tightgroup seem to be the most popular.

loaded out to around 1.165-1.220" oal depending on what your gun likes.

10 - 13# recoil spring & a shok buff or two

or try an STI recoil master.

the rest is grip and stance, hell maybe most of it is grip and stance.

Joe.

Tell you buddy to get his butt on here and read the millions pf posts on the subject. :):)

He might want to let [people know what gun and bullets he has available.

Or...have him hit me up for a handful of my loads at a match (or Range Officer class ;) )

Or, have him do like most everybody...load up 180's with TiteGroup or VV320 (maybe WST).

But, more importantly, have him understand that the gun and the load only plays a part in how much flip he will experience while shooting. Much more important (IMO) is refining the grip and stance.

lol...DP posted faster than I could type.

Pretty much the same info...

The big difference is that we don't know if your friend is shooting a 1911 based gun or something else. If he is shooting a smaller framed gun (like a Glock), then the OAL that DP posted will be too long to function in his gun.

If he's shooting a Glock, those guns tend to not have very long mags like S_I or Para's have. They generally have to seat theirs to SAAMI Max OAL. I would be really nervous seating a 200 in a 40 that deep. When you can seat them way out to 1.200" like we can it's no big deal, but when you have to seat them to 1.135" um.. Yikes.

Vince

i dont thing brass hogs load is going to make major

for the glock model 22, i would try some rounds loaded with 200 grain bullets and some form of faster powder(i use universal clays)

tungsten guide rod and 15# spring help.

brass magwell also helps

your friend (and I) probably have the hardest recoiling limited guns made...so the grip and stance is going to be much more important than ANY major power load you put through it.

• 4 months later...
Have him try 3.5 grains of Titiegroup and a 180 grain plated or jacketed bullet loaded to 1.135 oal. Very soft recoil.

What il recoil and main spring are you running with that load? I tried it my 1911 with a 10lb recoil and the factory 23lb main spring and it wouldn't lock the slide back on the last round.

• 3 weeks later...
Have him try 3.5 grains of Titiegroup and a 180 grain plated or jacketed bullet loaded to 1.135 oal. Very soft recoil.

What il recoil and main spring are you running with that load? I tried it my 1911 with a 10lb recoil and the factory 23lb main spring and it wouldn't lock the slide back on the last round.

That 23lb. mainspring is more than too heavy, I'd think. Try dropping that by bout 5lbs. or so.