Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

promotion rules?

DrLove

Guys, can anyone help me understand this from rule book please?

"Winning first or second in class at an Area Championship or Major Tournament AND shooting into the next higher class may result in promotion (except to Grand Master)"

1. What is the definition of "major tournament" right here? Would this be a level 2 or a does it have to be level 3 for example?

2. What does the "AND" in the above mean?

If you are 1st or 2nd in A class and your percentage is Master grade (from the classification system), then you are promoted to Master.

1. 6.1.4 Tournament – Consists of two or more firearm specific matches (e.g. a handgun match and a shotgun match, or a handgun match, a rifle match and a shotgun match), or two or more handgun-type matches (e.g. a 1911 handgun match and a “Brand A” handgun match). The individual match results achieved by a competitor in each component match will be used to declare an overall tournament winner, in accordance with the USPSA Tournament Rules.

If a sufficient number of GM's shoot a match in the same division, they will set a verifiable Hit Factor for each stage that is consistent with their current classification percentage. Therefor all other shooters will produce a Hit Factor percentage that should be consistent with their overall abilities. A shooter that scores well into the next classification level will have a good chance of being bumped up to that level.

We are talking the overall percentage for the entire match. It is always possible for someone to shoot an exceptional stage and have a HF that is well into the next level, but they will not do that for every stage unless their overall abilities are at that level.

• 3 weeks later...

And it works too, I shot 63% and took 2nd C at a a area match and got promoted to B even though my classification was only 58%

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Same thing just happened to me. I took 2nd C at my state's recent sectional match. I shot ~62% (w/ two GMs in my division). I got the letter in the mail stating that I was auto-bumped to B.

Edited by uod

Worked for me. I won B class at Area 6 and was promoted to A class.

Do they look at where you finished in the class above you, not just that you win your class?

They must take several factors into account. If you're who i think you are ( Brian S? ) then I finished two places above you at Area 6, winning A, but I did not get bumped to Master. While I won A, I finished behind 11 Masters. You finished 1st B, but also finished ahead of all of the A's except one. probably why you got bumped.

Worked for me. I won B class at Area 6 and was promoted to A class.

Do they look at where you finished in the class above you, not just that you win your class?

They must take several factors into account. If you're who i think you are ( Brian S? ) then I finished two places above you at Area 6, winning A, but I did not get bumped to Master. While I won A, I finished behind 11 Masters. You finished 1st B, but also finished ahead of all of the A's except one. probably why you got bumped.

IIRC, you also have to finish in a percentile higher than or equal to the next higher class. In other words, win your class (A in the example above) and finish the match with an M percentage.

If that happened and you did not get bumped to M, I have no idea why.

The rule book doesn't seem to suggest that. Here's the text on promotions (found on the 5th page, or "V USPSA Handgun Rules, February 2014 Edition" :

Your performance in larger matches and tournaments may also be used to help establish classification. Placement in a major event with a score above your assigned class percentage may result in your being promoted to a higher class, even if your current average is lower. Winning first or second in class at an Area Championship or Major Tournament AND shooting into the next higher class may result in promotion (except to Grand Master); winning High Overall in an Area Championship may promote you to Grand Master class. In addition, if you score 95% or higher at a USPSA national championship, you will be immediate-ly moved to Grand Master class for that division.

Although - they use the phrase "may result" instead of "will result". Who knows what other criteria is used behind the scenes. It may depend on how close you were to already being in the next class, or how far into the next class you shot.

Where in the rulebook does it say that there has to be at least one or more GMs in a division at a major match in order for it to count as a classifier? I can't find that anywhere in the book, but I've known that to always be the case.