Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

xtreme 9mm plated bullets

shel6977

I looking for some input on the xtreme plated 124gr hollow points, 135 gr flat nose, and/or the 147gr hollow points in 9mm. I currently use 124 rn in my m&p pro with good results with bullseye powder but am wondering if you guys think heavier/ hollow points might yield better accuracy.

Anyone have any input on these bullets?

I'm playing around with their 147 RNs at the moment.

I have some decent loads for the 124gr RNs, but haven't been able as of yet to find an equivalent (let alone better) load with their 124gr HPs. Unless I find some 'magic,' I'm not planning on buying more of their 124gr HPs, but will buy more 124gr and 147gr RNs.

I have some 135grs as well, but no significant load workup or testing with them as of yet.

The 124gr aren't bad for me but I am wondering if the 147 might shoot a bit higher so I don't have to use all my elevation on my rear sight and maybe get a slightly less snappu recoil than the 124gr. I was just hoping someone had a little experience with them for some input.

I know a lot of people swear by hollow points for accuracy but it might just be a Chevy vs. Ford thing too...

I run 147gr Xtreme FP. Any type of 147gr will shoot softer then any 124gr bullet at same PF. - just the physics of it.

As to shooting higher, you would need to speed it up a bit.

The 147gr bullet will actually drop about 1/2" more at 50yds, since it is traveling an a lower velocity to keep the same pf as the 124gr.

Within 25yds the difference will be very small, especially shooting unsupported.

You should have plenty of elevation for IDPA distances using factory sights.

I also use Bullseye and love its consistency.

I run 147gr Xtreme FP. Any type of 147gr will shoot softer then any 124gr bullet at same PF. - just the physics of it.

The 147gr bullet will actually drop about 1/2" more at 50yds, since it is traveling an a lower velocity to keep the same pf as the 124gr.

Within 25yds the difference will be very small, especially shooting unsupported.

Have you found that you like the 147gr FP better than the 124gr? Better accuracy or do you like the recoil better? I'm down to just under 1k bullets left and will be ordering soon.

Actually I just looked at their site and they only have 147gr rn in stock. Any thoughts on it as opposed to 124gr rn?

They are having a sale on 9mm bullets right now. Keep checking, they will build up stock again.

Should have checked their website before I replied to you. They have hundreds and hundreds of boxes of all their 9mm's in stock! Don't know what you are looking at?

Edited by Sarge

I just got 4# of Bullseye (not my usual, but in a shortage you have to take what you can get.) but I haven't even started thinking about working up a load for 147g rn Xtreme. How many grains are you using?

I just got 4# of Bullseye (not my usual, but in a shortage you have to take what you can get.) but I haven't even started thinking about working up a load for 147g rn Xtreme. How many grains are you using?

I haven't loaded any 147gr yet. For the 124gr RMR plated and xtreme 124gr RN, I have been using 4.2 gr of bullseye at 1.150 oal.

Actually I just looked at their site and they only have 147gr rn in stock. Any thoughts on it as opposed to 124gr rn?

They are having a sale on 9mm bullets right now. Keep checking, they will build up stock again.

Should have checked their website before I replied to you. They have hundreds and hundreds of boxes of all their 9mm's in stock! Don't know what you are looking at?

I meant in 147 gr they only had rn. I didn't see any flat points in the 147gr weight.

Sorry for the late response - topic was not being followed. the 147gr are RN, My 180gr 40sw is fp. Accuracy will be about the same within 25yds. at 50yds, the slower traveling bullets will have a bigger drop [1/2"] compared to the faster 124gr. the recoil for the 147 is markedly softer and easier to track in rapid firing. In a steel gun, the 147 is Extremely tame.

Sorry for the late response - topic was not being followed. the 147gr are RN, My 180gr 40sw is fp. Accuracy will be about the same within 25yds. at 50yds, the slower traveling bullets will have a bigger drop [1/2"] compared to the faster 124gr. the recoil for the 147 is markedly softer and easier to track in rapid firing. In a steel gun, the 147 is Extremely tame.

Better late then never. I just ordered some 147gr rn so when it gets here, I'll be doing some experimenting to find a charge that works for me with bullseye powder.

Where do you find the zeros and are they affordable? I've held off buying FMJ because Montana golds were so much more than plated or coated.

Roze Distribution. I think I paid $.09 for 147 GR 9mms and .13 for 230 GR JHPs in .45.