Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

22 conversion for the Tang?

Mlussoro

Between work, my three kids, Open projects and garage projects I haven't shot either. I've owned both sizes in the past and sold them (Nealio has one and I sold the other with a TA90); they worked OK, but were picky about ammo and hammer springs. After hearing about Nealio's rimfire championship win, seeing they redesigned the mags and that they were pretty reasonably priced, I grabbed some more to play with.

There shouldn't be any fitting needed out of the box, maybe just some tweeks to get top performance out of them.

So here is the short version:

I tried lighter hammer springs, but you need to run a 16lb spring hammer spring. I made 2 different extended firing pins, but the lighter hammer spring would cause it to come out of lockup too soon and coat the chamber with gunk. Finally bailed on that and run a 16lb and it runs great.

The magazines tend to expand ever so slightly, raising the height of the lips so they touch the slide. I don't know if this is from heat, usage, or what. This would then cause feed issues (FTE and FTF). Once I figured this out (and it took me a while), I carried a file with me and I would take a few thousandths off the top of the lips of the current mag every time I had a FTF. After I got it figured out I think I've ran a thousand GemTech through it without a single failure. The mag issues were a bigger deal with older style mags (that do NOT have the exposed pin to pull the follower down). After I switched to all the new style mags, I didn't have to do as much mag work, just a touch up on a couple.

The extractor and the notch it goes into on the barrel both needed a little cleaning up and/or shaping.

I took the firing pin and the firing pin block (which is needed BTW) out and polished all the contact surfaces to make sure there wasn't any drag.

I also polished the outside of barrel to take out some of the machining marks to reduce slide friction.

Now the thing is butter smooth, and like I said runs flawless. I ran the Idaho State Rimfire Challenge last year with it against a bunch of dedicated .22's and had 0 issues (ended up winning iron sights division).

Edited by Nealio