Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

L10 Supporters

Chuck D

A recent post regarding changes to L10 has fired me up once again. As usual, someone threw the line in the water and I bit...not because I had to but because I WANTED to. I also want to say this:

THANK YOU to all those whom took the time and expended the effort to support L10 Division in it's current form. An extra special thank you to those that understood and embraced the needs of the following:

1. Capacity limited shooters living in States that disallow high capacity magazines.

2. Owners of non 1911 Single Stack guns that CHOOSE to own and use these guns in L10 Division.

3. A strong desire of a certain quanity of USPSA's membership that LONGS for rules stability.

I'm a dedicated L10 Division competitor (A-6676) and have shot nothing but L10 Division since its inception. I'm touchy about the subject. Ever since the Divisions birth, a movement to restrict the Division to SS only status has been active in pushing this agenda. I'd like just once to concentrate on growing the Division instead of fighting tooth and nail for its very survival in its present form.

Thank you for supporting L10 in its current form. It means a great deal to this "loudmouth" from New York ! ;)

I also get highly fired up when changes to L-10 are mentioned.

I've been shooting this division for 3 years and think it is the perfect division for attracting new members to the organization.

Capacity limited shooters living in States that disallow high capacity magazines.

Chuck I empathize with you on the mag capacity issue.

We do not have high capacity magazines, we have standard capacity and you have reduced capacity magazines. The state that you live in has reduced capacity law makers. My state, unfortunatly, ain't much better.

L10 WAS created in response to the AWB....even though the AWB has sunsetted on a national level, versions of it still exist at the state level (and who knows how long or if more states jump on board). If the real reason for L10 was in response to the AWB...then L10 should be left alone.

Although Michael Voigt recently asked for opinions, I have not yet detected any mvoement by the board to change L10. There has been recent informal discussion between some board members regarding 1911 issues - should we have a "home" for the single stack?; should be in 45 only or should 9mm, 9xwhatever, etc. be major?, etc.

I would like to see a home for the 45ACP 1911, but I think that changing L10 would undermine the stability of the rules, and would not improve USPSA. But, I may be wrong about that.

I am certain of one thing ... it would not be appropriate for an issue this fundamental to the nature of the game to be introduced, voted on, and passed without extensive advance notice to the membership.

I would be shocked (and I don't mean in the Blue Parrot sense of the word) if there were any such vote a the BOD meeting next weekend. In the unlilkley event there were, I would vote against it at the present time.

I also do not expect there will be any movement at the BOD meeting to remove the 10 round production limit. Leaving things "as is" in Production will allow the 13 round .40 shooter, the 13 round Glock 23 shooter, and shooter with a ban-era 10 round 9mm to all compete on an equal basis. Change it, and anything less than a Glock 17 with 19 rounds (or similar capacity gun) is second rate in Production.

Rob,

Not to be argumentitive but there is a home for the 1911, it is called the Single Stack Society but it is also at home in USPSA. Lots of shooters used the 1911 in Limited division before there was ever a Limited 10 division, at least I did. So the question might be why did I move to Limited 10. Because I started in USPSA after the AWB when a Glock standard capacity magazine cost $100 when you could find one. If I had a choice it would be to make the .45 ACP the minimum major caliber and everything else minor. Afterall if it weren't for the FBI looking for something bigger than the 9MM the 40 Short & Weak probably wouldn't exist.

I teach to buy the biggest gun that fits your hand and that you can shoot comfortably and then practice with it. If the biggest is a .22 then practice until you can hit the head every time inside 7 yards.

The most popular division at my home club is L10 followed by Production. Most shooters use .45 ACP Single Stacks in L10 and 9mm in Prod.

Leave L10 alone. Everyone has fun with the Single Stacks.

The Production capacity issue... With the new 9 round per position limit, each time you move is a reload. Just like L10 and, especially, Revolver (and then some). But there would be less mag cleaning!!

And major scoring would change Production... it's a points game.

Each division is different, which makes it fun to shoot each one. Otherwise, everyone would shoot a stage in mostly the same way.

The way things are now, each division has it's own character.