Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading shotshells on a single stage press

Overscore

I'm curious as to why a shot shell-specific press seems to be needed for reloading shot shells. What is different about the process that mandates a specific press, or is it just a matter of preference, since a dedicated machine surely makes the process easier? I currently have a progressive and a single stage press, and I just load pistol and rifle ammo now. But, getting into shot shell reloading is in my future, so I'm starting to look at presses. Note that I am just curious as to why, not trying to avoid getting a new press.

The sequence of events to load a shell work better on a dedicated press. My Versa Mec has 5 stations and you do 3 operations at one station. This is a older press a current model would be a Mec 700. Mec still supplies parts for older models.

Garages sales or some looking around a good deal can be had on a used press.

• 3 weeks later...

Not that you can't do the RCBS thing but a dedicated shotgun press is the only way to go unless you are living on a submarine where space is a real problem. Life is too short to load shotgun on a press designed to load rifle/pistol.

A MEC 600 Jr single stage is cheap enough and at one time I could load a box of 12 ga in <3 minutes without an auto primer feed and I still load slugs on it. Check out Ebay.

Lee's shotgun press works well if you only need a few boxes once in awhile. Years ago, used to load "Turkey Shoot" loads on one. Haven't seen a turkey shoot in this area in decades - another fun thing lost.