Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Strange ejection problem.

Parallax3D

I'm having a strange ejection problem pop up every so often, (not constant, but enough to be annoying.)

I'm running a 9mm Open with a Cheely 90 degree mount, and every so often I get a fired case that does not eject properly. The case gets hung up LENGTHWISE in the ejection port, (as opposed to a stovepipe.)

I'm running a #9 spring currently, and my PF is around 173. Would going to a #8 spring give the slide more "open time" to allow the round to clear the ejection port before closing, or do you suspect another problem, such as the extractor or ejector? I personally don't suspect the ejector or extractor, since the gun runs fine 99+% of the time.

Edited by Parallax3D

I had this happen about 3 matches ago and normally I don't have ejection problems with my Aftec extractor. What I think was my problem the extracter channel was full of crap. Normally I clean my gun after every club match, at least fieldstrip it and pull the firing pin & extractor but got lazy and shot 3 matches and some practice session before I had issues. Since cleaning the gun it hasn't failed since. BTW I run an 8 pound spring in mine with about the same power factor.

If you don't already have an Aftec installed, then go get one....

If you do have one installed, it may help to remove one of the springs (the one closest to the brass)...

Had a similar problem with one of my open guns and a Aftec cured the problems.

Well, I just shot A5, which was 300+ rounds, and I had this happen once during the match. (Of course, in a major match, once is too many.) I've had it happen maybe twice more in the past 6 months, with thousands of rounds down range during that time period.

I don't have an Aftec, but the extraction has always been good with the standard extractor. I stripped the slide and cleaned the extractor and firing pin within the last month or two specifically because I was worried that might be the problem.

I'm almost inclined to believe Aircooled's theory of case resizing more than anything else. The occurence of the problem is just so random that I think an extractor problem would be more pronounced and frequent.

I'm reloading with a Lee Loadmaster and using a Lee FCD, but maybe I should get an undersize sizing die, just to be safe.

Edited by Parallax3D

Hello: I have seen the rim of the case with dents and burrs on them that a sizing die does not remove. I use a Case Pro to resize the brass and also spin the case between my fingers to see if there is a burr. If the case is resized but not enough when it is fired it expands again and sometimes tightens in the chamber slowing the extraction down, hanging up the caae on the extractor. 9mm major stresses the case a lot more than standard 9mm so you have to make sure you are using good brass as well. Thanks, Eric

That type of failure typically is caused by slide not running fully rearward, or possibly (but less likely) the extractor not fully engaging the rim. If the first cause, could be a case sticking in the chamber (burrs or case not fully sized as AC6R said), a lightly loaded case, or too much spring. Does your slide lock open on an empty mag, or are you using Grams followers that don't allow you to check? Might be right on the edge of too much spring. My old open pistol ran fine when wet, but when the oil got thin it would do exactly as you described. I cut 1-1/2 coils off of spring and it never happened again, wet or dry.

Edited by openclassterror

It can not be the sizing die, it was already shot. You are talking about ejection of a fired case. I would think it would have to be a dirty gun or extractor.

Yes still could be a case guage issue.... There could be issues with the rim of the case that's allowing it to feed but not getting under the extractor fully for a smooth ejection

That type of failure typically is caused by slide not running fully rearward, or possibly (but less likely) the extractor not fully engaging the rim. If the first cause, could be a case sticking in the chamber (burrs or case not fully sized as AC6R said), a lightly loaded case, or too much spring. Does your slide lock open on an empty mag, or are you using Grams followers that don't allow you to check? Might be right on the edge of too much spring. My old open pistol ran fine when wet, but when the oil got thin it would do exactly as you described. I cut 1-1/2 coils off of spring and it never happened again, wet or dry.

My gun is set up with modified Grams followers and the slide lock is also modified to prevent locking open. I'm also not using any shock-buff, (although I have in the past.)

I guess the cheapest fix to try would be less spring. Maybe an #8.

Chris....check the extractor tension first. The standard extractor will lose tension over time. It may be time to put some bend back in it. Or get an AFTEC.

If a setup worked in the past and then started Malf'ing, it's probably due to something wearing out. Determine what that something is...you don't want to add variables to the equation by randomly changing things.

D

Chris....check the extractor tension first. The standard extractor will lose tension over time. It may be time to put some bend back in it. Or get an AFTEC.

If a setup worked in the past and then started Malf'ing, it's probably due to something wearing out. Determine what that something is...you don't want to add variables to the equation by randomly changing things.

D

Darren, the strange thing is that it only happens once every 1,000 - 1,500 rounds. Generally speaking, the gun you built has been rock-solid.

The current extractor still has a LOT of bend in it! I have to push HARD on the tip to force it back into the tunnel and remove it from the slide.

Darren, the strange thing is that it only happens once every 1,000 - 1,500 rounds. Generally speaking, the gun you built has been rock-solid.

The current extractor still has a LOT of bend in it! I have to push HARD on the tip to force it back into the tunnel and remove it from the slide.

Hmm. Dirty gun slowing the slide down? A particular head stamp case that the gun doesn't like (did you check this on the jammed cases?)? If the jam is infrequent, it would make sense that the cause is infrequent. Spring issues, extractor issues, etc, would most likely cause a more frequent jam, not infrequent.

D

Edited by ExtremeShot

Hmm. Dirty gun slowing the slide down? A particular head stamp case that the gun doesn't like (did you check this on the jammed cases?)? If the jam is infrequent, it would make sense that the cause is infrequent. Spring issues, extractor issues, etc, would most likely cause a more frequent jam, not infrequent.

D

Dirty gun - Nope. I removed the slide and wiped-down and re-oiled the rails and bore-snaked the barrel at the hotel Sat. night. Jam was on the 4th stage I shot Sunday.

Head Stamp - All the brass has been once-fired Remington that I bought on-line. I bough 5,000 last fall, and have been using it ever since. The jams have only started recently, (in the past 5-6 months), and so far it's happened 3 times. I also never had this problem before when I was using random headstamp brass. The gun generally eats everything I feed it. I also am using a #9 spring when shooting steel, and the PF is about 145. Shot the entire steel pro-am at ARPC and not a hiccup.

Frankly, I'm at a loss to explain it. The only other commonality in all of this is that it seems to only happen near the end of my big-stick. I also just replaced all of the springs in my mags just before A5, so again, I'm stumped. Surely a mag issue would cause feeding problems, but not ejection issues, right?

Edited by Parallax3D

Mags CAN cause ejection issues, but rarely, and usually not infrequent. If feed lips are too far apart the upcoming round can pop up too high, and "bump" the bottom of the empty case out from under the ejector. But it would show up after damage, or a new mag body, and happen fairly often. NOT the kind of thing you are experiencing.

Years ago when the C-Mores were the new hot ticket, there was a lot of extraction issues. Mainly shells bounching of of the mount. I know this is not the issue you are speaking of, but Matt Mclearn told me to cut my ejection port lower. From the bottom of the slide rail to the top of the lowest part of the ejection port should be cut to .340 . It solved my problem.