Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Double Feed with Pmag 40 rounders

Zmego

During a match a few weeks back I had a match ending double feed. My new Magpul 40 rounder double feed two live rounds. This of course made for a nasty jam that ended my match. Two weeks later, I had similar double feed with a different new 40 round pmag. I was able to clear this jam quicker, but when I reseated my mag and released the bolt, it did the same thing again.

Everything I have read says that live round double feeds have something to do with the magazine. Has anyone else had any similar issues with the magpul 40 rounders?

Any trouble shooting Ideas?

Was it on the first shot after dropping the bolt? I know sometimes if I tap or hit the bottom of the mag when I insert it to make sure it is seated it will throw 2 rounds out and jam. I have learned to do the push/pull method of seating the p-mags instead to keep from doing this. Otherwise my 40 round p-mag with the TTI extension has been perfect.

gerritm

Trying to grasp this one......are you saying that the bolt came back (once) and upon going forward.....picked up 2 rounds? AND.....were you using Hornady Steel match Ammo?

Only time I've had a double feed like that was when the feed lip broke off one of my 30 round Pmags. I'd check the feed lips against another Pmag that works, just to make sure they aren't spread too far apart. Being that it's a new mag, I kinda doubt that's your issue though.

Trying to grasp this one......are you saying that the bolt came back (once) and upon going forward.....picked up 2 rounds? AND.....were you using Hornady Steel match Ammo?

Yup. I fired my first shot then it double fed. My own reloads. I am very anal about my specs. My brass and OAL are dead on.

Only time I've had a double feed like that was when the feed lip broke off one of my 30 round Pmags. I'd check the feed lips against another Pmag that works, just to make sure they aren't spread too far apart. Being that it's a new mag, I kinda doubt that's your issue though.

Yeah....that's the only time I've had double feeds (and more).....had a mag self destruct once when I inserted it into my rifle with the bolt locked back.....all the rounds shot up thru the ejection port like a stream of water. Talk about a full mag dump!!

If you are having more than one round come out.....take that mag and destroy it, send it into MAGPUL or what ever....but it probably shouldn't be used.

On a side note.....been using pretty much only the 40 rounders now (except at PANDEMIC 2014) with no issues.....so if you are having a problem, I would think it's just one mag...not all of them.

Yup. I fired my first shot then it double fed. My own reloads. I am very anal about my specs. My brass and OAL are dead on.

Double feeds are always a magazine problem...

Just to be absolutely clear, the malfunction you are describing as a double feed is two UNFIRED rounds stuck in the gun, not an unfired round and an empty case. Failure to extract will often appear to be a double feed, but one of the cases is spent. Double feeds are magazine failures, failure to extract are typically not magazine related.

It is not possible for the bolt to strip more than 1 round per stroke from a properly functioning magazine shooting spec ammo. There are only two items to look at, the ammo and the magazine. Get a different source of ammo, and some different mags that are known good and see if you can duplicate the problem, as well as try and duplicate the problem exactly so you can study it more, and possibly even take pictures of it to share. Good luck.