Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Poll: Carry Gun Use and Practice

XD Niner

Although some shooters use the same gun for carry and competition many of us have carry guns that differ from our normal USPSA or IDPA competition pistols. If so, how often do you practice with it?

I carried a GM 1911 with two mags for DECADES. Then I figured out since I'm out of the strip clubs by midafternoon and I don't buy or sell drugs and I'm in bed most days by 10pm that my chance of being in a gunfight were extremely low. I switched to a J frame and one speeloader some years back.

I haven't needed it either.

• 3 weeks later...

I carry a Glock 19.
I complete with a Glock 34. At some point I'm going to pick up an Open Glock 17.

I shoot 1-3 local matches a week. I get range time with the 19 once a month. I dry fire both all the time.

I shoot SS for competition, and I'm 90% decided on having a glock 26 milled for an RMR for carry. When I feel like I'm good enough to move to open, it will be with a 2011.

If I have problems switching, I'll adapt the glock grip, but its not a huge problem with my SIRT. I suspect I'm not good enough yet for the small difference in grip angle to actually be a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know exactly how to vote. I carry everyday, 5 days a week as a working police officer. I shoot USPSA matches monthly mostly in SSTK division. The gun I carry is a SS Colt Govt. model. The gun I shoot in matches is a Springfield Govt. model. About the only difference is that the Colt is SS, both guns are setup identically, same sights, same trigger pull, checkered frontstraps, S&A magwells, extended thumb safeties, double diamond checkered grips etc. I choose to keep the Colt clean and ready to go, I do shoot it monthly during departmental range days to make sure all is in order.

I carry a G-19, and currently use a modified G-17 for matches...

I've heard people say to NOT modify your carry piece for potential liability issues in the event you ever had to use it. I would think that stippling the grip and of course better sights would be no problem, but I can understand it if you lighten the trigger...any input or facts?

Edited by racnsoonr