Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beginner looking to build an USPSA Tanfoglio

@BrazeauRacing, what holster are you using for your Match 9mm? Since speed holsters are legal (which I just now learned), I will likely find me one that I like. How many mags do you carry per stage?

Lastly, the local club I'm looking at joining shoots USPSA matches monthly, with IPDA matches every other month. From what I read, mags in IPDA matches must be flush with the gun, and I don't think speed holsters are allowed, so my gun won't be IPDA legal, right? If not, that's fine...I wouldn't mind doing something with my Kahr TP45, actually. ;)

I'm using the Blade Tech competition speed holster with Stoeger tension thumb screws, Blade Tech two piece velcro belt, and Blade Tech classic single mag pouches that I modified so that I can adjust the cant (all with tek-lok mounts). I typically carry 3 extra mags per stage, but even with only 17 rounds per mag I've never had to use that 3rd extra mag on a run-n-gun type of stage.

I don't think the Witness Match is legal for IDPA due to it's weight (railed versions). For IDPA, I either use my Springfield Armory Trophy Match 1911 .45 in CDP, or my FNS-40 in SSP.

Edited by BrazeauRacing

for belts etc look at ben stoegers pro shop.

a good velcro belt is worth starting out with.

CR speed or DAA are my choices for belts (or even better the CR speed deluxe if it fits budget).

For mag pouches you can get 3 or 4 of the ghost pouches ben sells. nice and cheap and well liked by USPSA shooters.

for holster the DAA race master is great, but not cheap. another option is the ghost holster or H&S CW5 (I really like this one, not sure if they make a round trigger guard tanfog version though).

@BrazeauRacing, what holster are you using for your Match 9mm? Since speed holsters are legal (which I just now learned), I will likely find me one that I like. How many mags do you carry per stage?

Lastly, the local club I'm looking at joining shoots USPSA matches monthly, with IPDA matches every other month. From what I read, mags in IPDA matches must be flush with the gun, and I don't think speed holsters are allowed, so my gun won't be IPDA legal, right? If not, that's fine...I wouldn't mind doing something with my Kahr TP45, actually. ;)

I'm using the Blade Tech competition speed holster with Stoeger tension thumb screws, Blade Tech two piece velcro belt, and Blade Tech classic single mag pouches that I modified so that I can adjust the cant (all with tek-lok mounts). I typically carry 3 extra mags per stage, but even with only 17 rounds per mag I've never had to use that 3rd extra mag on a run-n-gun type of stage.

I don't think the Witness Match is legal for IDPA due to it's weight (railed versions). For IDPA, I either use my Springfield Armory Trophy Match 1911 .45 in CDP, or my FNS-40 in SSP.

Oh well on the IDPA; not a big deal. I may try IDPA with my Kahr TP45 (SSP) as a good way to get practical experience with my daily carry.

Back to holsters, I'm really only seeing the Blade Tech as being logical for the Match, because of either the rail or round trigger guard. I'd like to get something like the Racer, Race Master, Ghost, CR Speed, etc. But I don't see any of them that work with the round trigger guards on the Tanfo's. I'd be willing to spend $130-175 for one of these holsters, maybe even $200 for the Race master if I knew it'd work and I could find a left handed version.

I have two CR Speed holsters: the standard one (2011/CZ) and the square trigger guard Tanfoglio one; I know the Match fits loose in the regular one, but I haven't tried it in the Tanfo specific model. I'll make myself a note to check it for you.

I have two CR Speed holsters: the standard one (2011/CZ) and the square trigger guard Tanfoglio one; I know the Match fits loose in the regular one, but I haven't tried it in the Tanfo specific model. I'll make myself a note to check it for you.

I sure would appreciate it! What do you mean by loose in the standard CR? As in it flops back and forth? Does it hold it securely?

Alright...so I've pulled the trigger (pun intended) and did some ordering. I have ordered the necessary stuff so I will have 3 mags with the H-141 pad and Grams Kit. I've got roughly $240 left from my gun sale, and still need a holster, belt, and 2 mag pouches. I've done a lot of looking but can't quite figure out what I want. I like the Sting-Ray holster from Henning (as it seems to be the ONLY left handed option for me), except that it sits on the belt and I fear it may be too high (i'd prefer to have something with a swivel). Any other recommendations (with links, please) that would fit my budget?

Should I also pick up Henning's firing pin, guide rod, or slide spring or are those just replacement parts? Other than a little trigger work, a magwell is the only thing left I want, but that will have to wait.

I would hold out on firing pin etc and just shoot the gun for a while first as it is. definitely buy some recoil springs at a minimum though and tune the gun with those. stock recoil spring will be way too heavy for regular 130pf hand loads. try some lighter mainsprings too if you are up for it.

Have a good look at the round trigger guard and see if you can find a match in another brand of gun. I know a guy shooting an XL2 which I believe has the same type of frame as yours. he uses a DAA PDR holster. I stuck it in my H&S CZ holster and it fitted but wasn't nice and tight either.

I found out that Canyon Customs can put a magwell on my Match for about $200. Is it really worth putting that much more into my Match, versus putting that 200 toward a different Tanfo, such as the Limited or Limited Pro? I also see that Canyon can make my trigger guard square, which would open me up to using something like the DAA Race Master, but that's $150. Do most of you consider that a waste of money when compared to the cost of a Tanfo Limited?

I sure would appreciate it! What do you mean by loose in the standard CR? As in it flops back and forth? Does it hold it securely?

Sorry I've been so slow, but I just checked and the Tanfo specific model is perfect for the Match. In the standard one if you push the muzzle platform up enough to get a tight fit it exposes the trigger. There is a different trigger catch which sits lower, but then it's harder to pull out. Tanfoglio model, it works.

Sorry I've been so slow, but I just checked and the Tanfo specific model is perfect for the Match. In the standard one if you push the muzzle platform up enough to get a tight fit it exposes the trigger. There is a different trigger catch which sits lower, but then it's harder to pull out. Tanfoglio model, it works.

This is awesome news! Would it be possible for you to post a picture (or even a short video) of the Tanfo specific model with the Match in it? I'd like to see how it looks. ^.^

No longer am I considering having the trigger guard squared off. I am still considering the weld on mag well.

Assuming I can use the same 9mm mags in the Tanfo Limited 9mm as my Match 9mm (pretty sure I can), than I will likely continue with this build and later on (once and/or if I get more serious about USPSA) build out a Tanfo Limited, either for USPSA Limited or Open. I would use the Match for 9mm minor PF, and the Limited for 9mm major PF (assuming the gun can handle that), but it will allow me to share the same holster, belt, mag pouches, and mags. Talk about some serious monetary savings right there!

Or if the limited can't handle hot 9mm loads, I would go with either .40 or .38, and can still use the same belt rig. In fact, can you use Major 9mm in USPSA Limited? I'm thinking it's only legal in Open.

yeah you can only use 9mm major in open. in limited you have to use a bullet of 40cal or greater. 357 sig is the exemption since it uses a 40cal case but 9mm bullet.

I reckon sell the match now and buy the limited.

You can shoot 9mm minor in USPSA Limited, right?

I think I've decided to just keep my Match since it's almost there as a USPSA pistol, and would be great for me to learn USPSA with. From there, I dunno. I see a Tanfo Limited in my future, along with my Match. No problem with having both, eh? :)

I see a Tanfo Limited in my future, along with my Match. No problem with having both, eh? :)

That's my plan! :) You can never have too many guns, right? :devil:

Too many? That's not possible!

Your Match is 9mm, yes? You shoot that in Limited div? What are your plans with a Tanfo Limited (caliber, division, etc)?

Your Match is 9mm, yes? You shoot that in Limited div? What are your plans with a Tanfo Limited (caliber, division, etc)?

Yep, 9mm (minor) in Limited Div. I'd like to eventually get a Tanfo Limited in .40 (major) for Limited Div, but I'm fairly new to USPSA and IDPA so my Match in 9mm will be fine for a while.

Yep, 9mm (minor) in Limited Div. I'd like to eventually get a Tanfo Limited in .40 (major) for Limited Div, but I'm fairly new to USPSA and IDPA so my Match in 9mm will be fine for a while.

Sounds like you and I have pretty much the exact same plan. As I'm also new to USPSA (only attended matches, never competed), I expect my Match 9mm to keep me busy for a while. As far as a Tanfo Limited, I will probably also be shooting .40, even though I don't care for .40. Not many alternatives to that, unless I want to load 9mm major rounds, or load .38Super. I don't reload, so that's out of the question right now.

Not many alternatives to that, unless I want to load 9mm major rounds, or load .38Super. I don't reload, so that's out of the question right now.

.40 is the minimum caliber for major in Limited so 9 or 38 would still be scored minor regardless of power factor unless you shoot Open. Additionally I don't recommended shooting 9 major without a compensator; it's tough on you as well as your pistol.

Here's a link to the PDF rulebook: http://www.uspsa.org/document_library/rules/2014/Feb%202014%20Handgun%20Rules.pdf