Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

17" barrel, full length gas system AR

Matthew_Mink

I've built 17" guns with full length gas systems and 14.5" guns with carbine systems. They seem to work with F2 comps :)

Here is my latest project: a 6 pound, 4 ounce (with the PDP4) flattop comp gun:

Link to Picture

Nothing wrong with a carbine gas tube...

Alex

Well, I'm the weirdo who thinks that an 18" barrel full-length gas system feels better with an M16 bolt carrier rather than a standard or light bolt carrier, so I won't say anything at all. That is why I have four AR's set up four different ways :lol:

Link to Picture

This gun (17.5" barrel, pre-F2 installation) is 5 pounds 4 ounces...a full pound lighter than the 16" Cav lower gun in my first post. Of course, the barrel is a bit thinner and the upper is plastic. For the folks who think that light is fast...

Alex

Matt,

Man it sure seems like it ought to be the way to go...then I read that nearly ALL the top AR shooters run a 20in. I think Bear (Erik Lund) is about the only guy creeping toward the top with a less than 20in. Of course, that boy is different...in a good way. :)

What is the goal anyway?

Flat shooting?

Quick recovery/splits?

Being "handy" enough to get around walls and such (to me, that means being able to shoot it, close to, as fast as my pistol...on the "pistol-type" courses that we see out there)?

What is the goal anyway?

Flat shooting? 

Quick recovery/splits? 

Being "handy" enough to get around walls and such (to me, that means being able to shoot it, close to, as fast as my pistol...on the "pistol-type" courses that we see out there)?

You pretty much hit the nail on the head and answered your own question. I want my cake and eat it too.

An Cy brought up a good question about enlarging the gas port possibility. I had to do that on a FAL carbine, I would assume I would need to do it here. But then again, I think JP makes an adjustable gas regulator for these rifles, so that might be the thing to do.

Time to jump in...

Matt,

Most of the "Top" guys use the 20in rifles for two main reasons. First, under the old power factor for minor rifle (160), you had to be very careful with your ammo selection. Many loads would not make the PF. Now that is has been lowered to 150, the carbine length barrels don't have a problem with ammo selection. Second, and the most debated point is, many shooters feel the rifle length gas system is much softer and faster to shoot compared to the shorter carbine gas system. I won't get into the whole issue, but my quick take on the matter is if your running a good compensator, you won't notice the difference. I also think the weight of a 20 vs. 16 has something to do with it being softer. Zak has kinda blended the best of both worlds by having a rifle length gas system with a cut down barrel.

This past year I switched to an 18" barrel, but only because I couldn't get the profile I wanted in a stainless steel 16" barrel without paying $500 for it. Taran is also using an 18" barreled setup. His rifle is also made by MSTN.

While many people are quick to jump on the "Vertical foregrips are crutches only used by posers" bandwagon, they will definitely improve your shooting, IF you know how to use them properly (most people don't.) To paraphrase Kelly Neal, I hope all my competitors think VFG's are a joke and never use them.

Here's a well worn pic of my rifle. I need to take some new ones, I've changed it around a little.

077868.jpg

Erik

Zak, I saw your post on AR-15.com the other day about your range experiences with your 4 rifles and the various tests, very enlightening.

I've never wanted a VFG on my rifles. I have shot them on other peoples rifles, and they were ok, but I never thought I would need one.

Eric, that's another point I forgot about. Since USPSA lowered the rifle pf for minor, I'm indeed not worried about not making it. I reload anyway, I can always add powder.

The problem with Erik is that he is too good a shooter to discount as a poseur. But I still dislike the VFG, although I will admit it does have some tactical advantages as opposed to competitive ones. You obviously do not need one to win. Conversely, you will not lose because you have a "dildoo" (in the words of Bennie Hill) on your rifle either. You'll just take a little grief.

I also have an 18 in barrelled upper (from Accuracy Speaks) with a full length gas system and really like it. I also like my 20 from JP. Having just seen Matt Burkett smoke everybody (including myself, I guess I need to watch that DVD more closely :o ) at a local match with a 16 incher with a JP adjustable gas system, I have trouble saying that a TUNED 16 bucks too much. Will that be the winning combo? Perhaps, but (with all respect to Matt and Erik) Voigt, Miculek, etc. have not jumped on the shorty bandwagon and they do just fine.

But I still want all my competitors to have a 16 (or better yet a 14.5 or even 10.5), with a scope mounted on the carry handle, with a foregrip, laser, barrel mounted bipod, and a bayonet.

One final note, I have won stages with an iron sighted FAL in .260 and .308 against the big dogs shooting open guns HOW ???? By activating the trigger while the sights were on the target and doing it fast. That's more important than 2, 3 or 4 inches of barrel or whether you have a VFG.

activating the trigger while the sights were on the target and doing it fast..... [is] more important than [today's gadget d'jour] 

Well said. Now all I gotta do is figure out how to *do* it ;-)

Bruce (shameless buyer of gadgets)

activating the trigger while the sights were on the target and doing it fast..... [is] more important than [today's gadget d'jour] 

Gadgets won't improve my game? Damn - I now need a new strategy!

Gadgets won't improve my game?  Damn - I now need a new strategy!

but with lots of cool gadgets you'll look good doing it. thats my story and im sticking to it. I recently added a VFG to my 16" M4. I do plan on, in the future, building a new ar for 3gun using a 18" barrel and full length gas system.