Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kimber Pro Covert II won't run

Aglifter

It fails to fully go into battery, on a regular basis.

Is anyone familar w. Kimber's customer service?

Is there a decent 'smith in the Coastal Carolina area that I would be better off taking it to?

I have had a few kimber pistols in the past. Their customer service is marginal at best. I had a part that was defective in one of my guns and the guy on the line acted like he was doing me a favor by answering the phone at all. I did get what I needed but I wouldn't say it was service with a smile. This was probably 8 years ago so things could be different now...

What kind of issues are you running into? What kind of magazines are you using?

Tripp Research.

The rounds won't fully go into the chamber, when its being fired. It will feed OK manually. I've probably run about 150 rounds through it, so far.

Are the rounds factory or reloads? Too little crimp can cause issues.

Other ideas are lube, including barrel hood and checking extractor tension.

Those are my votes for likely issues. 150 isn't too many to think it won't break in though. Some of the very best guns can hiccup during the first couple hundred.

Edited by fastluck13

The gun isn't even broken in yet. Shoot at least 500 rds of factory fmj's. My new Kimber was very stiff at first, and would have ocassional problems. But once broken in, it shoots my lswc reloads with no problem.

And since you say it feeds manually fine, but not when firing, it's probably because the slide/frame fit is still very tight. And on mine the barrel link was very stiff until broken in. All these things will retard the movement of the slide rearward and foward. And also make sure you lube the gun very well during the break in period.

Its factory ammo - running 500 rounds through this thing will be annoying - wouldn't it be more cost effective, overall, to have a smith go over it?

It also seems very heavily sprung...

My Kimber was very finnicky when it was new, however after I put some rounds through it and got it broken in it runs awesome. You could pay to have a smith do some work on it or just shoot it and break it in that way plus side to that is you get used to your new gun. I do understand how frustrating it is though when it gets hung up barely out of battery and you really have to force the slide back to get the round it.

I agree. I will not shoot a gun in a match unless it has a minimum of 500 rounds thru it preferably 1000. If it's a carry gun no less than 1000 and the last 400 or so must be without a problem. I would not consider having the gun worked on unless problems are still there after 1000 rounds.

I wouldn't even bother with the Kimber CS. We have been a dealer for about 18 years and since about when they went to the series 2 guns they have had very poor CS. We have been waiting on orders for over two YEARS! We recently had three separate customers guns break for different issues all within the first 100 rounds. When they called CS they were told they would be sent the parts and they had to install them! I love my original Kimber but the newer ones have many issues and are not worth the amounts they are charging.

Adam

Its factory ammo - running 500 rounds through this thing will be annoying - wouldn't it be more cost effective, overall, to have a smith go over it?

It also seems very heavily sprung...

No, the combination of gun powder residue with oil acts as a lapping compound to smooth out the rough spots on the frame and slide rails. You don't want to reduce everything on the rails, only the high spots. And shooting it till it gets warm is the best way. Read this article from Brazos gunsmith Bob Londrigan, it'll explain everything. http://www.brazoscustom.com/magart/0705.htm

Kimbers CS has certainly picked the last few years. The problem I will bet is very typical of their 45s. No leade. The chamber needs finished reamed and the leade cut. I have not seen a kimber 45 yet that a Manson finish reamer did not remove metal from. FTRBs are common fairly common.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk