Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Advantage tactical sights legal in IDPA?

robport

I can't seem to find anywhere, how IDPA views the Advantage tactical sights. Advantage Tactical appears to think they're legal, especially since several high profile shooters have used them in competition when they came out. I'm trying them out now, due to some low light eye problems I seem to have. They definitely look like they are designed for self defense, so they appear to match the spirit of the rules.

I'm having second thoughts about long term use though, after hearing some other recent rulings of different items up to interpretation and the fact that the rules here require a little interpretation. I'm no expert shooter (quite the opposite), but I may want to even graduate up to a sanctioned event some day and would hate to be DQ'ed, especially after slapping down that much cash (entry fees).

This is what I found in the rule book:

under non-allowed stuff;

8.1.7.4. Sights of non-standard configuration (ghost rings, Bo-Mar ribs, etc.).

8.2.1.3.1. Sights may be changed to another notch and post type but slides may not be machined to accept different style sights in SSP.

They appear to be "notch and post", but are they considered a non-standard configuration (like ghost rings and Mo-Mar ribs)?. Is it an "etc"? I could definitely see where they could be, but then there are the speed sights and XS sights, which are also rather non-conventional but also reportedly allowed (at least on their web sights..

Thanks, in advance for your analysis.

A previous IDPA 'Rules Clarification' from Robert Ray ruled that the Advantage Tactical Sights did have a front post and a rear notch, and were thus legal. Where they stand now after the Tiger Teams did their 'magic' is a guess. The inclusion of the word 'etc.' in the Rules discussing allowable equipment leaves too much to individual interpretation; and shows just how knowledgeable in Rules writing the 'Tiger teams' actually were You might want to go directly to IDPA HQ and see where they stand now. I suspect you'll be standing in a long line as HQ tries to figure out what 'etc.' actually means.

They were legal before.

Thanks for your response!

With the flood of information I could find on the internet about this subject, I took your advice.

I asked.

The response was; "We value your input. The rules clarification committee will consider your question/clarification the next time we meet."

I wonder how often they meet...

Anyway, I'll post their answer when I get it. I can't be the only one wondering about such a thing.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one confused by that rule.

• 1 month later...

Interesting update: Almost two months later, I haven't gotten an answer from IDPA headquarters. I asked a few SO's and a match director and they didn't know.

If I do get an answer, I still intend to post it.