Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Drinking!

Phil Dunlop

Love this passage from Robert Ruark's 'Horn of the Hunter' and wanted to share it, P.D.

"Its funny about booze. I have been drinking it constantly since my first tentative sampling of North Carolina corn liquor when I was fifteen. I love liquor. It has been a good and constant friend for over twenty years. I have never used the bottle to hide in from fear or frustration, and I have never been on a protracted bat. I just like its taste and the way it feels and the wondrous atmosphere of celebration, of relaxation, of pure festivity that it creates. Each drink in my book should be an adventure, neither a dull habit nor a screaming necessity. There is no point to coming in out of the snow after a long rough walking day after pheasant or deer, or coming in wet from a duck blind, or coming in hot and tired off the African plain, unless there is a drink at the end to commemorate the homecoming."

Outstanding idea!  Pouring down rain, wind blowing and about 40 degrees.  I am not a fair weather shooter but I know when I am silly to go out and play.

I like the bourbon/coffee/fire idea much better.  

Cheers!

Kevin

I'll never forget the chilly night years ago over the water in Tiburon (the East Bay equivalent of Sausalito) during a radio station Christmas party... when someone introduced me to Jack 'n coffee... Ah, I've enjoyed it ever since!

Well, no Jack in the house at the moment but Geo Dickel sufficed rather nicely.

I discovered bourbon and coffee many years ago camping with friends.  We sat around the camp fire discussing philosophy and drinking bourbon and coffee.  Regrettably, some of those friends are no longer alive, which made for some fine moments of reflection this afternoon.

To friends remembered, cheers!

Kevin

To me its a great stand alone quote.

I can relate at the end of haymaking, home from the duck blind, at the end of World shoot, or any major match, (and appologies to anyone subjected to the 'atmosphere of celebration', alcohol invoked in Pietersburg!)or at the completion of any major undertaking.

For the record, Ruark, his wife and the Professional Hunter consumed 46 bottles of gin and half a bottle of Vermouth on that 6 week hunt, Ruark liked his Martinis dry!

P.D.

Hmmmm...assuming standard 750 ml bottles that is only 1.1 bottles per day (assuming exactly 6 weeks of hunting) or just over 1/3 of a bottle each per day...right at 37 1 oz shots each, per day.  Yoikes!

I couldn't do it anymore and not sure I could have done it in college.  I may have tried but I don't remember.  Wouldn't have been gin anyway...don't like gin.

Cheers!

Kevin

I will only drink gin in Long Island Ice Teas...enough other stuff in there that the gin just adds a bit of "zing".

Wife loves gin.  Weather warms up and I end up making a lot of gin and tonics for her.  I am told that I make a very good gin and tonic (like it is difficult?).

Give me whisky of about any ilk and I am a happier camper.  Or a good beer.  I brew most of what I drink so good beer is always at hand.

Oh geez...now I am thirsty again.  

Cheers!

Kevin

One of the first alcoholic drinks I ever had was a gin and tonic. I was 19 years old, assigned to Fort Bragg, North Carolina, and a few guys decided to go out to a bar/dance club. The guy who was driving said he'd buy my first drink, and he was a big gin and tonic fan. "Oh you'll love it. It's a great drink." I had one sip, said to myself, "My God, how can human beings drink this stuff - it tastes like Old Spice." Did manage to finish it. Then I had a single Jack Daniels. Then I had two double Jack Daniels. Then I had three or four double Jim Beams (the ol' memory is a little hazy there). Then I had a tall, tall Long Island Iced Tea. Then I got thrown out of the bar.

(Edited by Duane Thomas at 3:16 pm on Jan. 8, 2003)

There was a story on the radio the other morning driving in to work about people that were boozing on Listerine.  It is about 40 proof and $3 a bottle.  Apparently it is big with kids.  BLECH!!!!!!!!!

At least they have fresh breath.  ;)

• 1 month later...

The worst thing I ever heard of people drinking was KIWI shoe polish melted and filterd through bread.That was a story told to us in basic back in 83 about the Russian soldiers.I never tried it cause I just assumed it was some form of Cold War propaganda.

"The worst thing I ever heard of people drinking was KIWI shoe polish melted and filterd through bread.That was a story told to us in basic back in 83 about the Russian soldiers.I never tried it cause I just assumed it was some form of Cold War propaganda."

So does that mean if it wasn't Cold War propaganda, you would have tried it?