Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Front Sight Training Institute ( Acedemy)

Clay1

I've talked to people who have been to both. They were fairly new to guns when they went and enjoyed themselves but... It was expensive and a lot like going to a dude ranch. If that's the "experience" you are looking for, then go for it. But if you want some hard core training, there are better places to spend your money.

I don't know what the drive time would be for you, but Practical Firearms Training in West Virginia is a great place to train. Nothing fancy, but really knowledgeable and very reasonable cost.

I went to FrontSight last year. They're very much stuck in the past doctrine wise, as was said above. It's absolutely not worth the list price, but if you can snag a certificate from someone with a membership, it can be almost free. Last I checked, the certificates went for about $100 on ebay.

I found the training pretty worthwhile, but I was relatively new to shooting. If you're already an experienced competition shooter, I'd look elsewhere.

I went to FrontSight last year. They're very much stuck in the past doctrine wise, as was said above. It's absolutely not worth the list price, but if you can snag a certificate from someone with a membership, it can be almost free. Last I checked, the certificates went for about $100 on ebay.

I found the training pretty worthwhile, but I was relatively new to shooting. If you're already an experienced competition shooter, I'd look elsewhere.

I agree. I went to Front Sight in FEB 2000 for their Free One Day Machine Gun Class. At the time, I had been shooting USPSA for only a few months and was very new to competitive shooting. The Front Sight guys provided Vector Uzi machine guns and around 700-800 rounds of ammo per student during the one day course. This course piqued my interest in collecting and shooting registered machine guns (I own a couple now). When we broke for lunch, they had a "sales pitch" for their home-site plots and different types of memberships, along with a free pizza lunch - a small price to pay for the fun we had.

All in all, it was pretty cool at the time - especially the whole machine gun and shooting someone else's ammo thing. In retrospect, if I attended today I'd probably be less impressed.

Edited by Fullauto_Shooter

Thanks to all of you for your imput. I think I would be better served at a different school. My team member and I are thinking of taking Manny Bragg's class sometime in "10. He is scheduled to be teaching in Iowa at the Tappe range. That would be much closer and more in line with what we want. We are looking for someone who can not only critqueus but teach us how to dignose a stage . I don't think I'm quite ready for Matt Mclarin's class but if you have any suggestions, I would welcome the imput.

I went to a Manny Bragg class a couple of years ago - great instruction, great time, well worth it. I went for specific gun handling improvement. I do not need the "tactical mindset" classes - the Army gave those to me for free.

Shooting class with Manny=time and money WELL WELL WELL spent. He is a fantastic instructor, amazing shooter and one heck of a nice guy.

Joe W.

+100!! Manny is an outstanding coach and instructor. :bow:

Manny and I flew out to Vegas for the Nats on the same flight and while I was checking in he came up and asked me how things were going and if I was looking forward to the match. Now mind you I have only met him a few times and that was years ago but he came up to ME of all people. *ignore the fact I was wearing an STI shirt LOL* Heck that whole match was a trip and a half for me but that is another post all together. lol

Joe W.