Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Safari Comp 3

Luke Fay

To the revo crew,

I am shooting a 686 6in, I my ammo is a 158 grain Rn 38 special minor load, I have had good luck with the Safariland Comp 3 speed loaders, but here is my question, it has been said that moon clips are the fastest way to reload a revolver, why, is it a big enough advange to convert a 686 to moon clips, thought and remarks please.

Luke, whether or not it is worth it kinda depends on you. I have had several 6" 686's and used comp 3's for a while. If I am shooting a revo now it will be with a 610 and .40 moon clips. I find the moon clips to be way better, your results may vary. Try to find a friend with a moon clip gun and see for yourself.

Hi all.

I have been recommended not to convert my 686 in .357 to accept moon clips, since the clip for the .38/357 rimmed case is thinner and therefore not as rigid as, for example, the clips used for .45 ACP in a S&W 625.

"Wobbly" clips is not faster to reload than speed loaders, as I understand.

Anyone with experience of the opposite?

it has been said that moon clips are the fastest way to reload a revolver, why, is it a big enough advange to convert a 686 to moon clips, thought and remarks please.

I found that clips are faster because:

1) No cases caught under the star when ejecting brass (more of a consistency point actually)

2) No speedloader in the way when you're closing the gun and get back to the target.

Reloading with moonclips is just clean. All the brass comes out of the cylinder, you just put a fresh clip in and you're ready to go again.

About that conversion...I don't know. I've shot a 586 that was converted for clips and it was horrible to reload. I'd save the money and get a good deal on a used 625.

"Wobbly" clips is not faster to reload than speed loaders, as I understand.

Anyone with experience of the opposite?

I think it doesn't really matter. I try to be relaxed when I throw in the new clip. When I'm relaxed they always go in fast and all of my clips are wobbly as hell :)

Luke,

(Use the force Luke :rolleyes: I just had to say it)

There is one thing and one thing only the moonclip has over the Comp IIIs. And that is 6 always eject from the cylinder. Now, that being said, it you do, what causes six not eject from the cylinder, one under the star, with the moonclip gun, you have one crappy reload.

We used modified Safari Comp III's, for years & years, and IMHO, they are way faster than the moonclips! L-frames are super fast, K-frames are a little harder. If I could figure a way to send a picture I'd show ya how to modify the Comp III's.

As far as the speedloaders being in the way after the reload, that is a fantasy! Practice with your Comp III's and pretty soon the moonclip guys will be green with envy!

Phil( Darn I did it again, came out from deep lurk mode :ph34r:

Oh another thing that I like about moonclips is the fact that they are very cheap compared to speedloaders. You can buy 100 for the price of 3 or 4 speedloaders. The big advantage here is that you can load up for a mtach and you won't have to worry about it on match day. Just grab some fresh ones. Of course, this counts for .45 and 10mm moonclips. The other ones can be more expensive.

Luke,

Just to ehco what Speedstick said. Moonclips in a L frame or even a K frame will keep the disaster factor from happening, (brass under star) I like the Safariland comp III's and the old Jet Loader (now made by Buffer Technology I believe). There is a thread discussing cutting down the comp III's in the revo section somewhere. Bill N used a dremel to cut his down don't know how it works for him. Moonclips are easier to learn but the modified jets and comp III's work well. Depending where you are in your shooting desires will dictate which direction to go. I can e-mail some bad fuzzy pictures of the cut down version of the speedloaders. Let me know if I knew how to post them on this forum I would. :angry:

Later rdd

A big thank you to the Revo crew,

for all the input, I am thinking the Tech will only take you soo far, but as posted, it is how much practice you are willing to put in that is the biggest factor on how well you are able to perform on the clock. If it was easy then everyone would shoot a wheel gun :D

Getting your gun cut for moon clips will be expensive and the clips cost a lot more than the 625's

I like speed loaders for some reason but the good part about clips is you don't lose your brass EVER. shooting a 45 that's very helpful :)

if you cylinders are chamfered and everything tuned i don't think moonclips are ANY faster than speed loaders. but they are easier to learn.

I agree with what everybody said. :D

The cut down Safariland speedloaders are wicked fast. B) With moon clips you have to wait for gravity to get the rounds in the cylinder. With springloaded speedloaders they just jump in. B) I got the directions from Bubber and used a Dremel without disassembling the loaders. It worked for me. ;)

I use the lefthanded reload and the speedloaders are no longer in the way when closing the cylinder.

You might lose a little consistency using speedloaders over moon clips but practice should take care of that. I can reload my model 10 faster than my 25-2 moon clip gun but I can load my 686 PC 38 super a little faster than either.

If I was you I would just modify a few speedloaders and practice. A smooth reload with speedloaders is a thing of beauty. B)

Bill Nesbitt

Hi guys and happy new year to all,

IMHO moonclips are the only way to go!

1/ you don't have to spend 5 minutes looking for your brass.

2/ you'll never have brass stuck under the star again ('notice this only happens at the worst possible time ?? :wub: )

3/ you can shoot all day if you have enough without having to "recharge".

As for wobbly moonclips as mentioned earlier-they are very much a hinderence --so why have 'em?

I use .22thou' clips with winchester and .25thou' with federal .38 special brass.

No wobbles-no worries. :D

Chris R

Also, what method would you Use with a Speed loader, the traditional right hand load with the revo moving to the left hand then back to the right, or the style were the right hand never leaves the grip and the left had does all the work?

"SURVEY SAYS"???

ok guys,

surveys over. how about some reload times on the speedloader crew vs. moon's.

i started with speedees on a 686 L frame. 2.5 sec range

now, moons on a 625 n frame. 1.5/1.75

sub 1.5 practicing spooks new drill.

that drill is a "B*TCH" spook, but when i nail good its FAST .

time too "ante" up.

dan

now, moons on a 625 n frame. 1.5/1.75

sub 1.5 practicing spooks new drill.

that drill is a "B*TCH" spook, but when i nail good its FAST .

Smokin'! B)

The drill can be a pita, but it really enhanced my reloads.

Moon clips are the way to go. How many guys do you see at IROC winning with comp 1, 2, or 3's? Not very many. Watch Jerry Miculek a while and no way could you do that with any speed loader other than moon clips.

Cost for cylinder mods are normally $50-$100 and clips $10 for 5 pcs or so. Not that expensive. If done right you can still load with the comp 3 if you think it is faster!

Paul S.