Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Classifier Match- So many options, but which to choose!?

dossauce

Hey guys,
My local club is looking to host an all classifier match coming up in the month of July and I wanted to get input from people who have shot a lot more USPSA then I have. My question for all you benoser's is this:

What is your favorite classifier stage and why?

I thought about making a poll but there are so many options. Just wanted to throw it out there and see what you all thought.

Thanks!

I would give a mix of different types of classifiers.

Some are the "burn it down" type, like CM6-03 or CM13-04, and other's take more finese.

Some of the one's I like, (because it's easy to get a good score :devil: ), are;

CM9-04
CM9-09
CM6-03
CM13-04

I also like;

CM6-05
CM3-11
CM99-62
CM99-63

Always did well on all of those.

Classifiers highlight fundamental USPSA skills ... If you can't stand and shoot accurately at speed how can you possibly hope to do it while maneuvering through a course of fire?

Watch an A/M class shooter shoot a classifier or field course & then watch a C/B class shooter do the same thing ... you will see some glaring differences ...

Edited by Nimitz

Thanks guys. I see what you are saying trying to mix up stage shapes. From the classifiers I've shot the majority of them have been quite simple, the stand and shoot variety, and to me I don't see how it would be all that fun. Unfortunately the range we shoot at is not all that well set up for a lot of larger action pistol stages so I'll have to be choosy on which classifiers. Especially some of the ones that have you starting out at 100' +.

Ah yeah I see what you mean. Its difficult to understand what angle they should be at on 13-02.

Can you give me some examples of the field course series, what numbers?

13-09 - Window Pain. We shot it and everyone really liked it.

I use the tab on the Club Support page to pull up the classifiers that have been shot at our club and the other 2 closest that many of the shooters use to help pick ones that have not been used in awhile. Then go with trying to have different types based on your layout. You want to have 6 stages, so if you only have 5 bays like we do you have to pick 2 that can share a bay. Also, some are just more prone to be zero'ed and you don't want to have more than 1 or 2 of those since anyone new or trying to get an initial classification in a new division need at least 4 to count. Some of those are the long range, par time, multi string stages- they are killers.

13-09 looks great. i'll definitely have that one on the list!

We are actually a fairly new club so we don't have to worry about recent classifiers really being an issue. Is 6 the norm for an all classifier? I was thinking 5 but that's what we are used to around here for regular matches.

We normally run one classifier match a year with 4 classifiers and 2 field courses. What I do is just flip through the classifier course book on my computer and look at the measurements and choose courses that fit the bays I want to put them in. For a all classifier match I would try to have at least one of the larger stages set up most clubs don't set them up very often due to the extra work setting them correctly requires.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to announce it here as well but our all classifier match will be held this upcoming weekend, Sunday July 6th in Gainesville Florida with Gainesville Practical Shooters club ran by the UF Pistol Team. Cost is $30 and we're definitely having 5 stages, hoping for 6 if I can find a place to squeeze another in.

Pick classifiers that are actually field courses. I don't believe the stand and shoot classifiers are a true reflection of skill level.

A different way to put it is that some classifiers don't seem to proportionately value match skills.

Classifiers like "can you count" (5 shots point blank range - reload repeat) seem like a waste of ammo.

I do have 5 picked out. I don't plan on releasing them in advanced but the minimum round count for 5 classifiers will be 84 rounds and I'm hoping to squeeze in one larger field course if I can find space. Possibly 6 total stages.