Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Happy new year everyone! Speaking of which, does anyone keep a preventative maintenance schedule on their "wearable parts"? Since it's sort of the off season does anyone just replace all their springs ... kind of like a spring cleaning :blink: but in the winter?

... or is there anyone that keeps track of the rounds they actually shot and perform changes to that schedule?

... or do the majority of people just wait until something breaks then change?

Maybe a poll is in order.

short round

I must confess with the exception of replacing an occasional spring during cleanings (infrequent) I usually shoot it til it breaks. I've had to replace the safety, firing pin stop and slide stop in the three years I've had the gun and I've had it refinished. But other than that, for me there is no maintenance plan as such.

FWIW

dj

I keep a detailed spreadsheet on rounds fired (and the dates), and routinely view the components under magnification with each cleaning, but no routine replacements of parts 'just because'. I've yet to see any suspicious wear and tear. Not even on the Shok-Buff. B)

Maintenance Schedule!!! What is that???? I clean them when they start misbehaving or a few days before a match whichever comes first. And then I make sure to test fire them a few days before a match to make sure they still work.

I have seen too many skeet shooters at the range that just cleaned their 1100 and it won't eject a shell or load the second shell for doubles.

I've also managed to put the cups/cones in backwards in my BAR even though I was able to put it together in the dark before they gave me another toy to play with.

Maintenance Schedule!!! What is that???? I clean them when they start misbehaving or a few days before a match whichever comes first. And then I make sure to test fire them a few days before a match to make sure they still work.

What he said. I did this the day before the Infinity match because I had a couple hiccups at the last local match.

As far as replacing parts, there are probably 6-7000 rounds on the recoil spring in my gun and about 4000 on the Wilson Shock Buff. Both still work (the SB is just dirty... almost no perceptible wear), so they're still good.

I wish springs were like milk and started to stink when they were going bad. At least then there'd be a DEFINITIVE answer about when things should be replaced and not this "my daddy's daddy's daddy has done it this way for 112 years and, therefore, it's 'conventional wisdom'" crap.

Thanks for all the responses. I broke a lot of guns towards the end of 2004 and I'm wondering if one of my goals for 2005 should be to become a more responsible gun owner - meaning I should clean them before they break.

Anyway, I was just wondering how neurotic I should become or if it's just me. I'd be happy to go back to not caring, but I was forced to shoot production a couple of matches ago and it wasn't a pretty sight (20 rounds at one plate rack ugly). I'd like my future forays into production to be voluntary.