Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Boomfab Titane Titanium Bolt Carrier

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, Ti BCG + carbine buffer = JP LMOS + TACCOM buffer.

Can these be run with a TACCOM buffer or gutted carbine buffer?

Mick

If you want to compare a piece of Delrin reciprocating in your buffer tube to a piece of titanium reciprocating in your receiver go for it. My aluminum buffers get wear marks. I'd go with a carbine buffer with no weights instead. But I run rifle buffers so JP low mass for me.

Yes.........in answer to your question, MickB........you can run the TACCOM LW Recoil System with a BOOMFAB Ti BCG. We would also recommend that you use a Taran Tactical Reduced Recoil Spring as well....this will only further reduce your recoil and allow for your gas adjustment to cover a broader range.

I hope that the wear marks on your buffer aren't bad, cause if you wear thru the anodize....you'll be galling that aluminum in both the buffer tube as well as the buffer.....and your friction will go up astronomically.

The good news is that Delrin has a much lower coefficient of friction than the anodizing on the aluminum buffer....you will probably never notice the wear marks, nor will they ever get to the point of causing any problems. ALSO....the delrin will not gouge into the somewhat mirror finish of the milspec buffer tube that punched out as an impact (or upset) extrusion made of 7075 aluminum. INFACT.....except for maybe a light coat of oil on the recoil spring.....no other lube is needed.

Hope this helps MickB

Edited by TRUBL

Like I said Mick if you take the weights out of a carbine buffer it weighs about the same as a Taccom buffer.

Myself, Keith Garcia, Chris Andersen, Kalani Laker and Burton Thompson have been testing the Titane as the only change in our low mass systems for 6 months. We ran the carrier in place of our JP carriers minus 1/2-1 turn of gas. I didn't really want to try a an experimental buffer setup at the same time. I think Garcia has the most rounds thru his at over 10,000.

I'm not familiar with the TTI reduced power spring.

My gun got considerably softer with just the Titane and the lesser gas.

I run a JP low mass buffer or a standard carbine buffer. You could take the weights out of a carbine buffer which makes it about the same weight as the Delrin buffer from Taccom.

Slightly off topic but at one time you were running the JP silent captured spring. What prompted the change from that to the JP low mass buffer?

Someday I hope to make Jesse Tischauser money :)

No shit, he just dropped 1K on BCG's lol

This is all I do fellas. No kids and the wife has a great gig. You don't want to see my 401k contributions from the last 4 years. It's all in my gun safe.

I run a JP low mass buffer or a standard carbine buffer. You could take the weights out of a carbine buffer which makes it about the same weight as the Delrin buffer from Taccom.

Slightly off topic but at one time you were running the JP silent captured spring. What prompted the change from that to the JP low mass buffer?

I ran a JP silent captured for awhile and really liked it. The spring rates weren't similar to my standard buffer springs so I went back to a standard buffer rather than crank up my gas or clip coils off the spring. I now have a spring kit JP offers but haven't had time to mess with testing them. It's on the list for this year.

The first month I had mine I experimented with around 20 different combinations of ammunition, buffer setups, gas settings, comps etc. Side by side on identical rifles with and without the BOOMFAB. What I settled in on for my guns was the Titane with a JP polished spring and a standard carbine buffer (in my carbine length stock). I am about 1.5 turns down on gas over the previous carrier I was running just like Jesse mentioned. There is a NOTICIBLE change in muzzle rise over any other carrier I have used, especially on long offhand shots. Follow-up shots are definitely faster on the long stuff with this BCG. It is a premium part for sure. But if you are looking for every possible edge, the advantages are undeniable. Mine has almost 8k rounds on it at this point in multiple rifles without a single failure. I know a few guys have more than that with the same consistency.

8kBOOMFAB_zps34bf533c.jpg

I got a little bit of sticker shock when looking at the price. No offense intended here but my assumption is that most if not all of the pro shooters who have been doing the testing have been given the carrier to help work out the kinks. If on your own dime then would you still be using it? I believe that it will improve recoil impulse so I guess the only question is would it be $500 better?

I'm making no judgements on the benefits of a titanium carrier (as a guy who still uses a non-adjustable gas block it's over my head), but the cost of it isn't the expensive part. Chris has put over $2,500 worth of ammo on it in the past 6-7 months, Garcia has put over $ 3,000 in the same time. Jesse has probably shot upwards of $10K, as he only uses bullets that have been dipped in unicorn piss. :)

Same with anything in our game, gentlemen. Gear is cheap compared to the amount of ammo and TIME required if a shooter wants to excel.

I got a little bit of sticker shock when looking at the price. No offense intended here but my assumption is that most if not all of the pro shooters who have been doing the testing have been given the carrier to help work out the kinks. If on your own dime then would you still be using it? I believe that it will improve recoil impulse so I guess the only question is would it be $500 better?

At first I simply pulled the JP carrier out of my Stag 3G and put the Titane in. My first thought was there is a difference but is it enough to matter? I the turned the gas down a 1/2 to 1 turn. That will depend on the adjustable gas block you're using. I then shot my Titane equipped rifle with less gas side-by-side against my JP equipped rifle. I was shooting off hand shots at 50 yards on an MGM targets plate rack. The plates are 8". I could instantly see a significant difference in how much the dot inside my Swarovski reticle moved. Then Keith Garcia came up with the following drill to show what it can do.

I loaded 10 rounds in two mags.

Rifles are Stag Arms 3G with Swarovski Z6i 1-6x24 scopes zoomed up to 5x.

Target is at 50 yards.

Target is a 3-Gun Nation dirty bird target shot offhand.

I shot double true taps with meaning one sight picture two trigger pulls as fast as I could.

Using a timer to make sure splits were similar I was getting .17-.21 splits between shots. Here are the results.

Boomfab

1CD5CEB5-7866-41A9-9E09-43732F8EEF8D_zps

JP

8AB090EE-3735-43BC-BED4-A5771E6AB73E_zps

I didn't use a stock rifle because I don't have any stock rifles.

Chris,

in your testing, did you ever test the JP LMOS carrier with a gutted carbine buffer or TACCOM buffer?

The recoiling mass between the two systems should be the same.

However, performance could still be different due to the different mass distribution.

Lightest setup of all would be the Boomfab carrier with gutted carbine buffer or TACCOM buffer.

I would be interested in the results of the above tests.

Mick

The first month I had mine I experimented with around 20 different combinations of ammunition, buffer setups, gas settings, comps etc. Side by side on identical rifles with and without the BOOMFAB. What I settled in on for my guns was the Titane with a JP polished spring and a standard carbine buffer (in my carbine length stock). I am about 1.5 turns down on gas over the previous carrier I was running just like Jesse mentioned. There is a NOTICIBLE change in muzzle rise over any other carrier I have used, especially on long offhand shots. Follow-up shots are definitely faster on the long stuff with this BCG. It is a premium part for sure. But if you are looking for every possible edge, the advantages are undeniable. Mine has almost 8k rounds on it at this point in multiple rifles without a single failure. I know a few guys have more than that with the same consistency.

I did. My criteria for evaluating everything I tried was what I saw through my scope while shooting a plate rack at 50 yards.

I liked what I saw better with the set up I am running.

I even tried to lightened/gutted buffer set ups with the Boomfab. And lower recoil springs. But I feel that reliability might become a concern going that far.

Chris,

in your testing, did you ever test the JP LMOS carrier with a gutted carbine buffer or TACCOM buffer?

The recoiling mass between the two systems should be the same.

However, performance could still be different due to the different mass distribution.

Lightest setup of all would be the Boomfab carrier with gutted carbine buffer or TACCOM buffer.

I would be interested in the results of the above tests.

Mick

Edited by Chris_Andersen

I received my production model carrier. It is indeed 0.3 oz lighter than the prototype I've been using. I'm excited but mad too cause a 6+% reduction in weight is going to likely allow me to close the gas block even further. Guess it's time to get out the torch or build a new upper.

F834E775-8FBB-4C8A-8EA9-1E7B5931FA1A_zps

so I'm thinking about ordering one today...need some help with the buffer though???

I'm running rifle length gas so I'm torn between snagging the JP low mass buffer & spring or if I should go ahead and snag the JP Silent captured spring and spring pack instead.

any thoughts????

so I'm thinking about ordering one today...need some help with the buffer though???

I'm running rifle length gas so I'm torn between snagging the JP low mass buffer & spring or if I should go ahead and snag the JP Silent captured spring and spring pack instead.

any thoughts????

I've only used the low mass buffer and spring. I still Need to experiment with the silent captured setup.