Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm cases get stuck in resize die

Doctor

i shot my 9mm handloads , picked up the brass and came home to reload. I have a Lee and Hornady die set for 9mm

when the first brass got stuck i figured i didnt lube it enough, I sprayed two others and they both got stock in the lee. I switched to Hornady dies and the same thing happened

the brass is lapua and aguilla

this did not happen in the dies with unshot brass

i have no clue what i did wrong or how to fix it

HELP PLEASE

I am new to this and I forgot to tumnle the brass before went itnt the die. it could take the primers out without a problem I understand top of the Jedi and used to punch to take the brass out

Even if you didn't clean the brass it should not have pulled out of the shell plate. If you are using a Dillon you need to make sure the shell plate is as tight as possible and still be able to rotate or it will continue to pull the brass through. You might also make sure it is a 9mm shell plate. The rim on the 9mm case does not offer much of a purchase and if the shell plate is loose or incorrect they will easily pull through when resizing.

my reply was ruined by the voice recognition in my phone

it should have said i unscrewed the decap pin from the die and used a punch to remove the brass

i am using a rock chucker press, not a dillon

but thanks for the dillon tip, i have rl550 too

Same advice on the Rock Chucker. Check to make sure you have the proper shell holder or maybe find one that fits the 9mm case more precisely. You should not be able to pull the case out of the shell holder using a carbide sizing die and lube. Some just fit the case better than others.

You do have a 9mm shell holder installed correct? I have seen people try to use these type presses without a shell holder because that's what the top of the shaft looks like?

Even a dirty piece of 9mm brass should not stick in a die or get pulled from the plate if all the correct parts are in use.

OK - just looked it up. No. 16 is correct for a 9mm Luger.

I had wanted to say, but didn't previously that the No. 2 was for a 30-30, and that is what RCBS shows. There's not much way a No. 2 will work for a 9mm.

Guy

I have this happen with my lee loadmaster and carbide dies to the point where I cant even reload 9mm right now. The Lee customer service guy refused to accept it was anyones fault but mine because "you hace to lube the cases" even though they specifically state you don't need to lube with carbide.

And I def have the right shell plate it deforms the rim of the case when it pulls out of the shell plate.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Edited by CowToes

i must be using the wrong die?

i do reload 30/30 and i guess i put it in the 9mm die set of dies

since i am very new to this, i dd not realize that the wrong shell plate would make it stick in the die

i will check and see where the correct shell plate is and put it on